Flight of the Big Dog

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Fans of Dale Brown's book "Flight of the Old Dog" will most likely have fond memories of the mighty EB-52 -- the highly modified B-52 assault plane. In that spirit I present the AACV-130* "Big Dog".

This highly advanced bomber is imagined as a Guinea Pig with 2-4 fighters (Pun Jets) slung under the wing and 1-4 fighters on top of the wing.

A bomb bay would be included for cruise missiles (i.e. Toothpick/Q-tip gliders). The traditional cargo bay door would deploy airborne troops. Bonus points for towing an assault glider. Ambitious with jobs for several pilots. :cool:

Any thoughts?

*Airborne Assault Carrier Vessel

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
(dons tinfoil hat) You aren't working for the crazies from Alqueda or worse yet DARPA looking for cheap methods for drone swarms by chance would you? :p

That is an ambitious build.. just getting 2 punjets wing mounted would be rough for normal flight. I can't imagine how squirrely that would be having 4 - 6 mounted + more weight in the cargo bay + tow a glider... I would think a jump in the size of the Guineapig would have to be larger then the one Peter flew at FF that the RR crew were launching and recovering from.

What would be your reason for doing something like this? As a single person who fly's that is an awful lot of gear needed just for giggles n haha's

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
What would be your reason for doing something like this? As a single person who fly's that is an awful lot of gear needed just for giggles n haha's

Just for the awesomticity of it all! It would be VERY cool I think. I also believe (just from observations mind you), that 3 fighters (at least two of which are fold-ups) would not be too tough. Never know until you start strapping payload.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like you need to form your engineering / flight team and get ta building :D Just document the process if you do give it a go as well as get video of the maiden as is standard operating procedure for here.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Sounds like you need to form your engineering / flight team and get ta building :D Just document the process if you do give it a go as well as get video of the maiden as is standard operating procedure for here.

Sadly it won't be me. I'm too isolated. I COULD possibly do some feasibility testing in the future, but not likely. But there's some guys on YouTube......

Last edited:

njmartin99

sadieandbuddyaviation
This is an interesting idea... I've been thinking about a pun jet partially mounted inside a small bomb bay under the aircraft like the Goblin and B-36 in Project FICON. I may have found my next Guinea Pig experiment. Thanks!