Flitetest vs 3Dlabprint?

tejas101

I’m looking to build my next airplane and I’m hoping to get opinions on flitetest vs 3Dlabprint. The methods and materials obviously differ, and I am lucky enough to have access to a 3D printer, so I could use 3Dlabprint designs. What are the differences in building cost and flying characteristics? Which material is stronger/more resistant to breakage? If you have used flitetest or 3dlabprint (or both) then any comments would be appreciated.

jiofi.local.html
router network

Last edited:

w1lp33

3dlabprints look and fly great, but are very, very fragile. Flite test is significantly faster to build, easier to repair, and can take a lot of abuse.

Cost wise, I’d say they’re pretty close. Most 3dlabprint planes are like 1/3-2/3 of a roll of filament, so say... $10ish? If you’re scratch building Flite test plans, you’re probably $5-10 for foam, skewers, hot glue sticks, etc...

So while I would recommend having a 3dlabprint or eclipson plane or two in the hangar, if you’re comparing between them or Flite test, I’d say Flite test is the better experience overall. One iffy landing and your 40+ hour 3d printed plane could be in pieces, where your 2-3+ hour Flite test plane could be taped up/glued and back in the air in minutes.

Flyingshark

Master member
I’m looking to build my next airplane and I’m hoping to get opinions on flitetest vs 3Dlabprint. The methods and materials obviously differ, and I am lucky enough to have access to a 3D printer, so I could use 3Dlabprint designs. What are the differences in building cost and flying characteristics? Which material is stronger/more resistant to breakage? If you have used flitetest or 3dlabprint (or both) then any comments would be appreciated.
Foam board planes are generally easy to repair, just by sticking more foam and glue and tape on it; I think that might be more difficult with 3d printed stuff. And doesn't 3d printer filament cost more than foam board for the amount needed to build a plane?

Okay... I've reached the limit of my knowledge of 3d printers, but hopefully this is useful to you somehow!

w1lp33

Also the 3dlabprint planes tend to be much faster/more agile than Flite test planes, and in a glide they hold their speed much longer, so I’d say you need to be a more advanced pilot to fly them than most Flite test planes.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you can build a FT plane from scratch in less than a day. 3Dlabprints you are looking at several days of printing, then assembly. 3D printed planes are kinda cool, but in my opinion not worth the effort yet.

me :cool:

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
3dlabprints look and fly great, but are very, very fragile. Flite test is significantly faster to build, easier to repair, and can take a lot of abuse.

Cost wise, I’d say they’re pretty close. Most 3dlabprint planes are like 1/3-2/3 of a roll of filament, so say... $10ish? If you’re scratch building Flite test plans, you’re probably $5-10 for foam, skewers, hot glue sticks, etc...

So while I would recommend having a 3dlabprint or eclipson plane or two in the hangar, if you’re comparing between them or Flite test, I’d say Flite test is the better experience overall. One iffy landing and your 40+ hour 3d printed plane could be in pieces, where your 2-3+ hour Flite test plane could be taped up/glued and back in the air in minutes.

with 3d labprint planes you have to pay for the files, and then the materials, so that adds ~$15 to the final price, not much, but definitely more annoying than downloading plans from the internet. (maybe I'm just spoiled by the free Flitetest plans)

w1lp33

with 3d labprint planes you have to pay for the files, and then the materials, so that adds ~$15 to the final price, not much, but definitely more annoying than downloading plans from the internet. (maybe I'm just spoiled by the free Flitetest plans)

your right, I forgot about the cost of the plans themselves.