Help! Flysky fs-i6x servos going crazy:

Foamforce

It was the ESCs!! So... The 3 on the left do the same crazy stuff

That’s pretty weird that three separate ESCs, of different brands, would fail in the same rare way. It’s possible that either the receiver or one or both of the servos is drawing more amps than normal. The reason why two of the ESCs work is that those two might have a higher amperage BEC.

I think you did rule out the transmitter. So probably either the receiver itself, or possibly one or both of the servos.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
I use this one in my FPV Goblin without issue. It powers the receiver, servos, and flight controller:

30A RC Brushless Motor Electric Speed Controller ESC 3A UBEC with XT60 & 3.5mm bullet plugs https://a.co/d/1d4JyMW

For anything bigger than a park flyer I disconnect the middle wire on the ESC connector and run this BEC directly from the batter connector:

ZTW UBEC 10A Peak Continuous 6A 6.0V 5.5V.5.0V Adjustable for rc Airplane and Helicopter https://a.co/d/fbv2S41

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
That’s pretty weird that three separate ESCs, of different brands, would fail in the same rare way. It’s possible that either the receiver or one or both of the servos is drawing more amps than normal. The reason why two of the ESCs work is that those two might have a higher amperage BEC.

I think you did rule out the transmitter. So probably either the receiver itself, or possibly one or both of the servos.

Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon with this issue and low voltage. I've seen it with a number of "discount" ESC and servo combinations, usually with even less labeling than the one that the OP has.

I'd recommend checking those same ESCs with different servos now, maybe like an actual Emax or Flite Test servo (which I think are actually just rebranded Emax servos) and see if they work. If so, then you'll know that the ESCs are still functional, and the servos might actually be drawing more amps than normal - in which case, I'd pull that brand out and get rid of them. You've got them as elevon servos in the FT-22, it looks like; that shouldn't require a whole lot of amperage to push a total of 3 channels, so if it's failing on those servos, it's likely you're going to see problems in midair, which could be disastrous.

sprzout

Mentor
Those Turnigy
It was the ESCs!! So... The 3 on the left do the same crazy stuff. The 2 on the right work just fine. Grrr, how infuriating. Yes, these are cheap no name ESCs, didn't think going cheap would be this non functional. Guess I learned my lesson. Any ESC recommendations for FT Flyers?
View attachment 232286
Thank you all for your help!

I like those Turnigy Plush ESCs; they're not bad. Only downside to me is that they're the Hobbyking brand, and I have issue with them and their shipping practices.

Emax BLHeli/SimonK ESCs are some of my favorites for the cost; they were what Flite Test used to use before they had their own branded electronics, and are solid. I've only ever had a problem with them due to mechanical failure (as in, I had a midair collision during combat and someone's prop sliced through wiring, so it wasn't the fault of the electronics failure).

sprzout

Mentor
I use this one in my FPV Goblin without issue. It powers the receiver, servos, and flight controller:

30A RC Brushless Motor Electric Speed Controller ESC 3A UBEC with XT60 & 3.5mm bullet plugs https://a.co/d/1d4JyMW

For anything bigger than a park flyer I disconnect the middle wire on the ESC connector and run this BEC directly from the batter connector:

ZTW UBEC 10A Peak Continuous 6A 6.0V 5.5V.5.0V Adjustable for rc Airplane and Helicopter https://a.co/d/fbv2S41

I like that ESC as well - I've got one or two of them around in my birds (maybe my P-51 Master Series?) and it's pretty solid. Inexpensive, and already wired up so I don't have to do extra soldering (I can do it, but I'm lazy and hate having to deal with shrink wrap LOL).

Bricks

Master member
Cut off the shrink tubing and check the solder joints on the battery side and give the signal and power wires to the receiver a good tug to see if they are soldered correctly. I have a bunch of cheap ESC`s and have not had this problem, did you try a different battery could be on that end too?

LightBringer

Cut off the shrink tubing and check the solder joints on the battery side and give the signal and power wires to the receiver a good tug to see if they are soldered correctly. I have a bunch of cheap ESC`s and have not had this problem, did you try a different battery could be on that end too?

I have used a different battery, fully charged, same thing. Also, I tested brand new 9g servos (same brand) and got the same behavior. I'm going to try a different receiver/radio as I never had this issue with my turnigy 9x.

LightBringer

Sooo... Now I'm having issues with the throttle only with the two ESCs that work. It doesn't do this with the 3 that have servo issues lol.. It acts like it doesn't know which way to turn until it gets going?... Here's a Video:

LightBringer

I tested the no name ESC, that has issue with the servos, with my Turnagy 9x receiver and radio, every... Everything works perfect.

sprzout

Mentor
Sooo... Now I'm having issues with the throttle only with the two ESCs that work. It doesn't do this with the 3 that have servo issues lol.. It acts like it doesn't know which way to turn until it gets going?... Here's a Video:

Did you calibrate the ESC that's having the problem? It might be that it's reading as being barely on for say, the first 25-30% of the throw of the stick, and then after that it comes up and recognizes the throttle as being "on". That's what it looks like from the video, but I could be wrong...And re-calibrating it doesn't hurt. :)

LightBringer

Did you calibrate the ESC that's having the problem? It might be that it's reading as being barely on for say, the first 25-30% of the throw of the stick, and then after that it comes up and recognizes the throttle as being "on". That's what it looks like from the video, but I could be wrong...And re-calibrating it doesn't hurt. :)
I have not.. How does one go about calibrating an ESC? Sorry if these are noob questions, I am still learning the basics.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...How does one go about calibrating an ESC?...
First remove the prop

Turn on th Tx and move the throttle to high.
Plug in the battery on the plane, wait for the beep.
When the motor beeps, move the throttle to low, wait for another beep.
When the motor beeps, unplug the battery.
Turn off the Tx, your ESC is calibrated.

You are showing the the ESC what high and low throttle looks like.

sprzout

Mentor
First remove the prop

^^^ ---> What Merv said. LOL

I'm not sure if that's going to solve the problem, but it certainly can't hurt to calibrate it, and if it DOES fix the problem? You'll be a happy camper! :)

LightBringer

Those Turnigy

I like those Turnigy Plush ESCs; they're not bad. Only downside to me is that they're the Hobbyking brand, and I have issue with them and their shipping practices.

Emax BLHeli/SimonK ESCs are some of my favorites for the cost; they were what Flite Test used to use before they had their own branded electronics, and are solid. I've only ever had a problem with them due to mechanical failure (as in, I had a midair collision during combat and someone's prop sliced through wiring, so it wasn't the fault of the electronics failure).

Sooo... speaking of that, besides direct from FliteTest, where does everyone go now days for cheap RC gear? I remember when Hobbyking was the best place, but after recently picking some items I wanted, I went to checkout and the shipping was insane! I still use Banggood and AliExpress from time to time (of course YMMV on the quality, as I'm learning here.) Are there any other popular sites the community uses?

LightBringer

First remove the prop

Thank you! I'll try that tomorrow.

sprzout

Mentor
Sooo... speaking of that, besides direct from FliteTest, where does everyone go now days for cheap RC gear? I remember when Hobbyking was the best place, but after recently picking some items I wanted, I went to checkout and the shipping was insane! I still use Banggood and AliExpress from time to time (of course YMMV on the quality, as I'm learning here.) Are there any other popular sites the community uses?

There are a few things when it comes to RC gear:

You can get it cheap, you can get it quality, or you can get it immediately. The three together are nearly impossible to get.

Hobby King used to be good, but after they decided to move most of their warehouse goods to Hong Kong, it’s been almost impossible to get things in expensively due to outrageous shipping costs.

I’ve bought some things from eBay and Amazon, but that’s kind of a crap shoot. Honestly? Flite Test has been pretty good. You might also try BuddyRC; they’re cheap shipping for most things, even if their selection isn’t as good as somewhere like Hobbyking used to be.
and sometimes, you just take a look and buy from a local hobby shop. I know I’m considering that myself for some heli stuff…

luvmy40

Elite member
I've had good experiences with ToTs RC totsrc.com I get most of my "power packs" from him.