Throttle issues with Transceiver.

Flame58

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet. But I've looked all over, and couldn't find any fix for it.

I recently purchased the FT mighty mini mustang, power pack F, and the Flysky fs-st8 Transceiver. And when I hook up the motor, servos, and battery to the receiver, and turn on the controller, the servos work just fine. But the motor only beeps when the throttle is applied.

I've looked though all of the settings on the controller, and I couldn't find one that changed anything on the throttle to get it to work. And even more confusing, the throttle only "starts" past the halfway point on the stick movement. As if it has the spring in it, for self centering. I also couldn't find anything in the settings to fix that.

If anyone knows any fixes, or tips to help out with this, that would be greatly appreciated.

luvmy40

Elite member
First thing is to make sure you have the ESC plugged into the correct channel. It sounds like you do.
Next would be to calibrate the ESC; Remove your prop, turn the Xmitter on, bring the left stick to full throttle, plug the battery into the ESC, wait for the beep, lower the left stick to minimum throttle, wait for the beeps.

You might also want to calibrate the transmitter before doing this. I don't recall the exact process for the FlySky radios, but there should be a few tutorials on YouTube to walk you through it. It's, typically a simple process.

Flame58

First thing is to make sure you have the ESC plugged into the correct channel. It sounds like you do.
Next would be to calibrate the ESC; Remove your prop, turn the Xmitter on, bring the left stick to full throttle, plug the battery into the ESC, wait for the beep, lower the left stick to minimum throttle, wait for the beeps.

You might also want to calibrate the transmitter before doing this. I don't recall the exact process for the FlySky radios, but there should be a few tutorials on YouTube to walk you through it. It's, typically a simple process.
I have tried to calibrate the sticks on the radio itself, but that didn't work. It also didn't seem to calibrate them either. When I did it again, it still had the same deadspace as when I did it the first time. As in, the screen didn't show the right stick going to its maximum value for its X axis.

Calibrating the esc however, I have not tried that. I'm currently at work, so I'll give it a go when I get off. I'll also try to recalibrate the sticks before I try the other. Ill give an update when I can.

Thank you for the tips!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...the throttle only "starts" past the halfway point on the stick movement...
In addition to Luvmy's recommendations, make sure the Tx is in airplane mode. Throttle starting at half is what happens when the Tx is in helli mode.

luvmy40

Elite member
In addition to Luvmy's recommendations, make sure the Tx is in airplane mode. Throttle starting at half is what happens when the Tx is in helli mode.
I did not know that. (I don't have any Hellis) Could you elaborate on the logic for this?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I did not know that. (I don't have any Hellis) Could you elaborate on the logic for this?
I'm not a helli guy either, I have been told in hellis, the center of the throttle stick range is idle, anything outside of the idle band the motor goes to high throttle. The throttle stick is mostly used to control the collective pitch. Making the helli go straight up or down, could also allow inverted flight. The motor is either on or at idle.

Flame58

It worked. Thank you so much for your help. Building the plane will be a breeze, this was the part that had me scared. I haven't made a model in years.