• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

For those who have done a foam glider (Walmart) RC conversion

basslord1124

Well-known member
#1
I will be attempting one as well. Actually had it for a good 1-2 years but haven't done anything with it, mine is a 22" wingspan glider which I don't think is a Walmart one.

I have noticed some folks doing just elevons only for controls. Has anybody ever tackled ailerons and elevators separately? If so how was performance? With elevons, how is performance? I originally thought ailerons and elevator but elevons don't seem like a bad idea either.

The controls surfaces on this thing are kinda crappy (or just there for decoration), so thinking of making some foamboard control surfaces and taping them on. Which I think is what most end up doing.

But anyways, just wondering. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!
 

Attachments

#2
I built mine pretty much identical to Bixler’s, twin gremlin motors on twin sparrow pods and elevons. It worked great, but I didn’t glue the wings in and on a hard landing the wings popped out and pulled the wires out of the motors.
I’ll get some replacements and go again, I liked the results better than some other planes. Good under power, but even better as a glider.
 

basslord1124

Well-known member
#3
Thanks @spdxdmn ...I may go elevons for simplicity's sake. What's strange about this glider is the horizontal stab/elevator foam is super thin (to allow someone to adjust the pitch when used as a glider). So gonna probably replace it with a foamboard horizontal stab/elevator. Only got enough parts for a single motor, so no twin for me.
 
#4
I just added foam board to the existing tail, 3” tapering down to 1.5” at the outside and a strip cut from a gift card to make the control horns. That’s on a 48” glider though, you’d have to adjust for the smaller version, maybe just a 2” strip and attach with packing tape. I wouldn’t bother trying to remake the tail.
 

mrjdstewart

Well-known member
#5
i would stick with the bigger one, i failed miserably at the small one like yours. the bigger $5 gliders work much better. and yes, you need to use foam board for the controls. in fact i completely chopped off the vert stab and rebuilt it in foam to actually have something that will work.

i still have the plane and can post pics laters if you want.

good luck,

me :cool:
 

mayan

Well-known member
#6
i would stick with the bigger one, i failed miserably at the small one like yours. the bigger $5 gliders work much better. and yes, you need to use foam board for the controls. in fact i completely chopped off the vert stab and rebuilt it in foam to actually have something that will work.

i still have the plane and can post pics laters if you want.

good luck,

me :cool:
I’d actually like to see that too :).
 

Hondo76251

Well-known member
#7
I've actually got a build video I put together I'm posting this week, I'll let you know when I get it up.

I used a HiTec Hawkeye (but I don't know if you can even buy them anymore now...) but similar methods would work on most any glider, the Hawkeye just happens to be made of very durable foam so it requires almost no re-enforcement to its airframe to maintain its integrity after electronics have been installed.

I've built quite a few hawkeye conversions but the twin motors on nacelles and the single overhead pusher seem to work the best both for flight characteristics and durability.

I've always gone 4 channel with mine. It just seems like they have a lot better feel that way, even if you don't need much for ailerons, it helps to have them.
 

Attachments

Turbo

New member
#9
Here are my foam glider conversions.

One was a GI joe knock off brand that Toys R Us used to sell. It is excellent foam and extremely durable. I strapped a cox nitro engine on it with some exhaust pipes to keep the foam clean and added rudder and elevons with CA hinges. The elevons were to avoid having wings with ailerons falling out and pulling a servo wires. They work ok but could use larger control surfaces and a programmable Tx.

The other is a Guillows glider I made into an AWACS recently. I originally used a C power pack but had to switch to an A power pack and a 850mah battery because the wings flexed to much(I did add basswood spars later). I used only rudder and elevator. This thing flies ok once its up but I have to throw it just right or it will flip and crash.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Well-known member
#10
Here are my foam glider conversions.
Nice!

I like the radar dome power pod idea... A bit nicer looking than my old air hog....

0531191519.jpg

It was one of my first builds years ago (and it shows! Lol) although the magnetic canopy for the battery is a build theme I learned on this one and improved later...