Frsky taranis: receiverrelated and other questions

Ludodg

I'll start with an apology because it might be so that this information can be found rather easely on the net ..
but I got confused. Might also be because of my English not being perfect ... :rolleyes:

I am rather new in RC-flying, now attempting and learning to fly with some foamies and a Quad.
I have bought a Taranis X9D Plus, which came with an X8R-receiver.
Very quality stuff (allthough I also still love my very simple but nice-performing Orange T-six).

1- I would like to buy some more receivers for the Taranis. Some simple ones for my foam-planes, so where 4 channels should suffice ...
But there are a bunch of these FrSky-receivers, and lots of them mention something like "only compatible with ..." of the FrSky-site.
Is my X9D-radio backwarts-compatible with all these receivers?
Which receivers should I choose (still hesitating between telemetry or no telemetry)?

2- Went to the OpenTX-forum ... wanted to download and install the link-software .. but read something about FrSky using their own version of OpenTX ...
So should or can't I use the OpenTX-link software (OpenTX Companion)?
Shouldn't I update my Taranis in the future? Or wait for an update from FrSKy?

thx for all info!

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
1. For a good source of information on the various FrSky receivers you can start here...

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-non-telemetry.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-telemetry-system/d-series.html
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/frsky-telemetry-system/x-series.html

For park flyer foamy you could use this one
http://www.alofthobbies.com/v8r4-ii.html

For a little be more money this one is popular. It supports 8channels with via CPPM which is great for multi-copter use. Its small and you can use it on foamies small models too but you do have to figure out where to run the diversity antennas
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-d4r-ii.html

There may be an issue with what FrSky now support where you level depending what the rules for 2.4Ghz use is there and that may restrict your choice. You may only be able to use the X series. Would have to know where you live an figure it out from there.

2. FrSky made a specific version of OpenTX because they have to ship and maintain a product. You can just wait for FrSky to make updates and just use their versions. However, the latest stable Taranis version of OpenTX works fine and as far as I know it absorbs any fixes that FrSky makes. I don't know what the mutual obligations are.

If you want to use OpenTX companion you may need to update the firmware to the most recent stable version. I did this and there was no obvious change from the FrSky version except the firmware version changed. You should make sure to back up you firmware first just in case but the FrySky version and the content of the SD car is available from the FrSky site.

The process for updating the firmware from OpenTX companion is a little tricky the first time because it doesn't work unless you have a particular Zadig driver installed. This video explains it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYO7HkjxGQ&list=PLYsWjANuAm4rtLZuLU2eSTc3svqWx-pa1&index=1

Last edited:

mjcp

I would second the need to update to an openTX firmware to use companion.

I was able to read my models but the program changes didn't seem to "stick"

Once I'd updated to (I think) 2.0.17 companion worked a treat. Didn't take long either.

Mjcp

ZoomNBoom

The process for updating the firmware from OpenTX companion is a little tricky the first time because it doesn't work unless you have a particular Zadig driver installed. This video explains it...

IM pretty sure there is no more need for the zadig driver mess with recently (since Taranis plus) bought radio's. They come with V2.x bootloader, you can upgrade the firmware simply from Companion.

So download companion.
Make sure you configure it correctly for the taranis PLUS ( Settings –> Settings -> radio type). It defaults to the taranis, not the taranis plus.
Do the three finger salute (hold trims inwards as you turn it on), connect it and upgrade the firmware via Opentx.

Thats all there is to it.

mjcp

IM pretty sure there is no more need for the zadig driver mess with recently (since Taranis plus) bought radio's. They come with V2.x bootloader, you can upgrade the firmware simply from Companion.

So download companion.
Make sure you configure it correctly for the taranis PLUS ( Settings –> Settings -> radio type). It defaults to the taranis, not the taranis plus.
Do the three finger salute (hold trims inwards as you turn it on), connect it and upgrade the firmware via Opentx.

Thats all there is to it.

Erm, I had to use the Zadig process to do mine the other day - Win 10 and a 2015 x9d+

I was able to see/read/write the SD card via the USB cable but companion could NOT flash the firmware. Sure enough, there was driver issue that Zadig sorted out.

mjcp

ZoomNBoom

Maybe thats due to windows 10? Anyway, I would still try without zadig first, I know it worked for a friend (windows 7 though). If it fails, you can still try zadig.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I had to do it on Windows 7. Didn't work without. Same error a Painless360 reported. It seem to be necessary if you want to use Companion to upgrade the firmware on the TX. I think you don't need it to read the SD card. Possibly you don't need it to upload models.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You can also purchase a Spektrum module for the Taranis and then buy Orange or Lemon (ie CHEAP) receivers for your 4 channel foamy needs.

external module for Taranis
http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/
I use this setup for in-expensive planes and the more costly long range receivers from Aloft for my bigger planes.

I've been doing exactly this and really liking the results. The only drawback with the external module is needing to rebind the Spektrum receivers each time you switch planes. There is a DIY mod project to the Taranis that I'm planning to tackle to removes this drawback.

Spastickitten

The orange module only needs to be rebound when you switch from dsm2 to dsmx. Sometimes it will forget bind, but I think that might be that my module ran without an antenna for a few months.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The orange module only needs to be rebound when you switch from dsm2 to dsmx. Sometimes it will forget bind, but I think that might be that my module ran without an antenna for a few months.

Interesting - I'll have to poke at it more. Right now I have two DSM models and have to rebind switching between them. I thought they were both DSMX but I will research more into that - I'd really like to be able to switch between planes with the radio selection only and not have to reach for the binding plug.

Thanks!

Grauwulf

I found with Orange DSM2/X module I had to rebind every time I switched planes, both with my original year and a half old one that just died with no warning recently, and with the new one I just received. The new one sometimes won't even reconnect to the receiver I just bound it to after a couple power cycles. I personally wouldn't trust it to any planes you really care about. The project that gives you OEM Spektrum functionality for the Taranis is worth every penny just for the model match feature alone.

Grauwulf

I tried the switching modes trick, it never worked for me. Honestly, I'm far happier with the transmitter module based on the original Spektrum parts.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I found with Orange DSM2/X module I had to rebind every time I switched planes, both with my original year and a half old one that just died with no warning recently, and with the new one I just received. The new one sometimes won't even reconnect to the receiver I just bound it to after a couple power cycles. I personally wouldn't trust it to any planes you really care about. The project that gives you OEM Spektrum functionality for the Taranis is worth every penny just for the model match feature alone.

This still matches my experimenting last night - using the Orange DSM2/X module and switching between two planes with DSM2 receivers I still need to rebind each time. Looking for a cheap DX4e or DX5e so I can scavenge the radio module and do the conversion project.

Thanks,