FT 3D trimming for knife edge?

nickf

Hi,

I having just got rid of a glitchy radio that sent my newly built FT3d into the deck hard, twice, and rebuilt it (stuck the wings back on) I'm trying to knife edge it. I built this to learn aeros/3D so I suspect I need some help!

My current efforts to knife edge (always wanted to do this!) are not good. It sometimes it goes from the horizontal('ish' i.e. rudder parallel to ground) into the vertical. I have this down to too much rudder and power, so pilot error?

The other trait, is that it turns quite rapidly into a horizontal circle that flattens out. I thought this might be down to the elevator being 'up' slightly. As far as I can see the wings and stab are straight and level and line up with each other. It flies straight and level so I'm not sure about the theory of the elevator being slightly 'up'.

Any suggestions for getting it trimmed correctly appreciated :)

Thanks

nick

Bricks

Master member
Trimming will not fix your problem, when doing a knife edge to much rudder or to much throttle will cause it to climb or loose altitude You have to use both in combination to get a good knife edge. Many planes will pull towards the cockpit or away when in knife edge either use the elevator to keep it straight or some people do a mix to the rudder and elevator to correct this, I just adjust the elevator as I fly. At times when it starts to flatten out instead of staying vertical may have to touch the ailerons a little to keep her there.