FT Alpha - A truly great plane!

dryhiker

Today was the maiden flight of my Alpha.

Alpha.jpeg

After eyeballing elevon positions and aligning them using subtrims, she flew fantastic! No in-flight trimming needed. The wing is a big improvement over the Mini F-22 and my flights were really enjoyable. It was a great day of flying!

I did learn a couple of things. I will put some tape around the lower edge of the intakes which take some beating on landings, starting to delam after only a few flights. Also, launches are awkward. I can do a launch by grabbing the cockpit, but it is an iffy hold. Are there any suggestions to make this less troublesome?

Has anyone launched using something like a pair of PVC pipes so that the plane can be flown off of the ground from the start? The F pack has enough power where a short run at a positive pitch of 20 to 30 degrees and a foot or two of length should work to let me throttle up and go.

Any experience with this out there?

Andy.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Great looking plane. I've got a buddy who uses a launch stand, he puts the plane on the stand then goes full throttle. His stand is 30 inches or so, about 20-30 degrees.

I prefer a discus style launch, some call it a side throw.
Here is a video that goes into more detail, it also discusses 2 other methods.

hankflies03

Great looking plane. I've got a buddy who uses a launch stand, he puts the plane on the stand then goes full throttle. His stand is 30 inches or so, about 20-30 degrees.

I prefer a discus style launch, some call it a side throw.
Here is a video that goes into more detail, it also discusses 2 other methods.

My first discus launch with my alpha didn't go so so great but after that it went ok.

kdobson83

I launch all my prop-n-slot, pusher, or flying wings by the wing tip. Using a neck strap on my transmitter, I have my right hand on the right aileron/elevator controls, I use my mouth to move the throttle up to what I want to launch with, and holding the wingtip with my left hand I launch as level as I can at about a 20-30 degree up angle.
This method does take a bit of practice to get use to / good at, but isnt too hard.

Yankee2003

You’re faster than you think.
I am right handed and always hand launch with my right hand. Including wingtip launches.
Don‘t over think your mistakes…the more you do it, the better at it you are.

dryhiker

Here are links to two videos. The first is when things go ok. The second is when things go wrong! In this case, my right hand not finding the stick in time! Fortunately zero damage! Both videos are from the day of my maiden flight.

Foamforce

I launch all my prop-n-slot, pusher, or flying wings by the wing tip. Using a neck strap on my transmitter, I have my right hand on the right aileron/elevator controls, I use my mouth to move the throttle up to what I want to launch with, and holding the wingtip with my left hand I launch as level as I can at about a 20-30 degree up angle.
This method does take a bit of practice to get use to / good at, but isnt too hard.

I use a slight variation of that method. Instead of turning on the throttle with my mouth, I have my kill switch on the top right of my transmitter so I can reach it with my right hand. I set my throttle to 75% before arming. Then when I’m ready to throw, I hit the kill switch and throw.

I agree that the throw feels awkward at first. My first attempt at this was with a Spear, which is fairly large, and I was sure I would crash a few times, but it worked on the very first attempt and hasn’t failed yet.

rcmojo

MOJOBILL

View attachment 239455

After eyeballing elevon positions and aligning them using subtrims, she flew fantastic! No in-flight trimming needed. The wing is a big improvement over the Mini F-22 and my flights were really enjoyable. It was a great day of flying!

I did learn a couple of things. I will put some tape around the lower edge of the intakes which take some beating on landings, starting to delam after only a few flights. Also, launches are awkward. I can do a launch by grabbing the cockpit, but it is an iffy hold. Are there any suggestions to make this less troublesome?

Has anyone launched using something like a pair of PVC pipes so that the plane can be flown off of the ground from the start? The F pack has enough power where a short run at a positive pitch of 20 to 30 degrees and a foot or two of length should work to let me throttle up and go.

Andy.
Very nice build. I built one last Summer and she is still airworthy.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

JDSnavely

I think that was my first scratch build. After flying a few time I somehow reversed the elevans and pulled it straight into the ground! Except for the nose being broken off, it was only a 5 minute fix. My kids still talk about that one. LOL. Hadn't flow for at least a year and a half. Flew it recently and it was great. No stabilization needed and very stable. I had forgotten what a great flier this is. We use a left handed wing tip launch with 75% throttle. My launches at first were less than perfect even with stabilization! Less throw is better as I tended to flip the plane when launching on my first attempts.

Richard Jones

View attachment 239455

Andy.
I love the Alpha and have built it twice. I usually launch it by holding the tip of the right wing and giving it a smooth side throw. If you have the CG correct it should just climb out on its own. I did build a catapult launcher but that was mainly for use with the Millennium Flerkin. I tried to toss it out of my left palm and lost a good chunk of my middle finger thanks to a prop strike. Here's a compilation video I made. I designed the catapult so it can be set-up/taken down in minutes and fit into my 4 door Acura
Don't laugh it was just to learn the video software a bit.....good luck

dryhiker

Richard,

Thank you for the video! I will try something similar but with no catapult. If I can power up and launch, it should work ok. More to come around the end of the year!