FT Delta AUW

Kronblom

Hi,

I recently finished building the FT delta and I am a bit worried about its weight. With all electronics/power pod and a 1300mAh 3S battery the weight is around 430g. :/ I haven't got access to DTF here in europe so I've used something similar but apparently heavier. The speed build kit says the weight without battery is around 230g? o_O Is that without the power pod??

Checked with watt meter and with a 8x4 prop I get around 92W on 8A. Guess I'll see if it will be able to fly.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Kronblom, I'm having the same problems with my FT Flyer Swappable. We'll just have to fiddle with motor, props and battery until we have 'em flying :)

What kind of board are you using? Kapa?

Kronblom

You nailed it Balu. It's called Kapa here amongst other names. The one with a layer of hardened paper on both sides. I can get a hold of a material we call model polystyrene, which basically is identical to kapa but without the paper. It is lighter but then I might need to add spars etc.

Kronblom

So I went out early this morning to maiden my FT Delta, and I guess it went as expected. :) First crash was straight into the dirt but just switched the prop and away I went. The second crash broke the firewall and prop but that was basically the only damage. Some dent on the wing but all of it can be fixed easily.

I got a few minutes flight time anyway which is more than I expected. Having only flown RET before Elevons was an interesting experience. Despite the weight it actually flew ok around 50-75% throttle. The only thing was that it was trying to roll left and point the nose up quite a bit. I will add some right/down angle on the motor as I usually do and move the battery so it gets a little bit more nose heavy.

All in all it went great and it actually flew slow enough for me to learn elevon style of controls. All that flying towards oneself etc.