FT Simple Stick Discontinued?

jack10525

So I was looking for ft simple stick plans and did an internet search. It brought me to ft’s speed built kits and showed the simple stick kit was discontinued. Wow I was shocked. Wonder what happened to it. Also I don’t think they ever released plans for the scratch build. Is ft changing their ways? Seems they are more into selling parts and named brand planes and getting out of foam board kits.

GrizWiz

Elite member
So I was looking for ft simple stick plans and did an internet search. It brought me to ft’s speed built kits and showed the simple stick kit was discontinued. Wow I was shocked. Wonder what happened to it. Also I don’t think they ever released plans for the scratch build. Is ft changing their ways? Seems they are more into selling parts and named brand planes and getting out of foam board kits.
They are in the middle of changing all of their kits back to the original brown foam since they are having problems with maker foam.
Here is what josh posted.
When COVID hit, the quality and consistency of the maker foam changed from the original approved and tested foam that had both awesome water resistance and adhesion. We isolated all the bad foam that we could the moment we found the issues. Later discovered both the coaters and the mill changed the recipe without communicating due to labor and material shortages. We made things right with anyone who let us know and moved to whole line back to Flitetest foam to prevent any additional quality issues. Talk about heartbreaking.

2020 had a lot of challenges and this one was one of the biggest for us. The brown Flitetest quality is still rocking it with Both water resistance and adhesion. And I’m going to even think of introducing an alternative until we’re 110% confident something like this will never happen again.

I truly appreciate everyone’s support and patience. We always want to make sure that everything we put out is the best I can be and if we need to make anything right with anybody, please let us know and we will do so immediately.

You guys deserve the best and we want to give it every time!

Josh B

The stick was never made in brown foam so it had been discontinued while they get stock for the brown foam.
For plans you could use the JB Stick plans or @The Hangar simple stick plans!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
They are removing the maker foam kits and going back to brown foam for the time being, so the kit should be out soon in brown foam. Also about plans, we simply don't know. Some of us suspect that FT will stop releasing plans after this because the simple stick plans have been completed for months but they haven't released them yet or told us when they will be released.

jack10525

Ah OK. I have read a few mixed reviews of maker foam. Glad they are going back to the brown stuff.

I’ve built the stick from plans available on the forum but wanted to try the ft version.

mayan

Legendary member
They are removing the maker foam kits and going back to brown foam for the time being, so the kit should be out soon in brown foam. Also about plans, we simply don't know. Some of us suspect that FT will stop releasing plans after this because the simple stick plans have been completed for months but they haven't released them yet or told us when they will be released.
That’s a shame. Does any one have more information about that? @fliteadmin

massis

They are in the middle of changing all of their kits back to the original brown foam since they are having problems with maker foam.
Here is what josh posted.
When COVID hit, the quality and consistency of the maker foam changed from the original approved and tested foam that had both awesome water resistance and adhesion. We isolated all the bad foam that we could the moment we found the issues. Later discovered both the coaters and the mill changed the recipe without communicating due to labor and material shortages. We made things right with anyone who let us know and moved to whole line back to Flitetest foam to prevent any additional quality issues. Talk about heartbreaking.

2020 had a lot of challenges and this one was one of the biggest for us. The brown Flitetest quality is still rocking it with Both water resistance and adhesion. And I’m going to even think of introducing an alternative until we’re 110% confident something like this will never happen again.

I truly appreciate everyone’s support and patience. We always want to make sure that everything we put out is the best I can be and if we need to make anything right with anybody, please let us know and we will do so immediately.

You guys deserve the best and we want to give it every time!

Josh B

The stick was never made in brown foam so it had been discontinued while they get stock for the brown foam.
For plans you could use the JB Stick plans or @The Hangar simple stick plans!

That explains a lot! I just got a kit of the Simple Cub in white maker foam, and especially clearing the cavities was hell (often tearing the bottom paper), and spraypainting it is proving the moisture resistance is pretty poor...

Since I'm over in Belgium (aka Europe), chances are this kit has been lying around in stock for quite a while...

camago64

I Just joined the FTCA thing, as a "spectator" member (free). First thing they did as a welcome, they sent a link to download the FT Simple Stick (AIO) plans. Maybe you should join too. ( you can register here, https://ftca.flitetest.com/ ) . Have fun!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Ah OK. I have read a few mixed reviews of maker foam. Glad they are going back to the brown stuff.

I’ve built the stick from plans available on the forum but wanted to try the ft version.
also, if you are a fere ftca member you get the plans as a starter bundle