GL Expedition, a twin engine Explorer/ Bronco XL

voyhager3

This will be a precursor to the future GL Excursion, either a 2m twin engine explorer with a modular fuseagle to switch out modules for different tasks. This, however, will just be built around the standard explorer core, and a 1.5m wing, but hopefully I will add a gopro gimbal in the nose to act as a search and rescue plane at my local rocketry club. And also some "heavy duty" landing gear.

voyhager3

Update 1-
Yet to start the actual build, but stock has been taken and besides electronics, I need foam. But I will probably grab some after my ap exam tomorrow and really start then. But I might be able to build the core today

Beaver5150

This will be a precursor to the future GL Excursion, either a 2m twin engine explorer with a modular fuseagle to switch out modules for different tasks. This, however, will just be built around the standard explorer core, and a 1.5m wing, but hopefully I will add a gopro gimbal in the nose to act as a search and rescue plane at my local rocketry club. And also some "heavy duty" landing gear.
So you are basing this on an FT-Explorer? If so, I have some insight on a few weak points, otherwise, they are durable.

Beaver5150

I have a fix for the weak wings, I just need to work on a gear integration before I assemble it
Oddly enough, I ended up with two big thick metal rods in my FT-Exp kit (store bought) parts bag that worked perfect for gear wire. They looked to be 1/8 inch x 12 inch. Very rugged.

The original "sport" wing split at the servo pocket underneath the wing on mine despite having added a 3/8" dowell rod. (Hard climb out running 4S/980Kv/9x4 prop...)

voyhager3

Oddly enough, I ended up with two big thick metal rods in my FT-Exp kit (store bought) parts bag that worked perfect for gear wire. They looked to be 1/8 inch x 12 inch. Very rugged.

The original "sport" wing split at the servo pocket underneath the wing on mine despite having added a 3/8" dowell rod. (Hard climb out running 4S/980Kv/9x4 prop...)
How did you do your gear set up, I really just don't have a good solution right now?
Right now i am thinking of adding a small little slot thing and using a gear setup like on the ft stick, and integrating it into the core before assembly

Last edited:

Beaver5150

How did you do your gear set up, I really just don't have a good solution right now?
Right now i am thinking of adding a small little slot thing and using a gear setup like on the ft stick, and integrating it into the core before assembly
I bent/formed the wire, threaded the ends for 1/8 lock-nuts, made a U shaped box cradle from scrap foamboard, traced, cut, and countersunk the wire into the bottom of the cradle, sealed it in with hot glue, then originally fixed it to the bottom of FT-exp with a wood skewer through the entire cradle/fuselage.
I probably have pics somewhere.
I'm still using the same wire frame on Mongrel now having retired the FT-Exp.
Here's a few pics of one I roughed out of a piece of coat hanger just to show the shape.
The V part acts like tortion-bar spring suspension when the thing is anchored. Just don't use coat hanger, it's too soft.
IMG_20220510_125159147.jpg IMG_20220510_125221136.jpg IMG_20220510_125148507.jpg IMG_20220510_125137719.jpg

Last edited:

voyhager3

Ok so, been thinking.
The original GL expedition was supposed to be a twin only explorer. But I’ve been thinking and decided to stick with the theme of Ford SUVs, and that the expedition would kinda be like just a larger explorer, and the big twin engine would be the Excursion (kinda a forgotten vehicle, the F250 SUV version). So the exepidition is happening again, but is now significantly different.

Changes:
No longer an explorer core. Kinda an enlarged and lengthened version (will be important in the future).
The wing will have a central “core” where the “wingtips” can be removed for storage. This allows this new version to have up to a 2.25ish meter wingspan, but I’ll be going for 1.5m to start. It’s also a much larger area, kinda similar to the Storch.
Twin boom tail, so I need wheels for the tail because I only have one.
Can be retro fitted with twin engines.
Huge cargo room for batteries and gps one day.
Here’s what I have so far.
8B5897A1-AA5A-412C-9BB0-C732C16049E7.jpeg D1528804-FB55-4874-BF3C-75893AC9FA6A.jpeg

voyhager3

Progress:
Going with the “p-38” style tail, even if the A style tail or the “OV-10” style looks better

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2530.jpeg
    IMG_2530.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2529.jpeg
    IMG_2529.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0