Gws Pico moth.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey guys, I just got back from some college research, and found this waiting for me:
image.jpg

I'm building it totally stock with the IPS A drive. Any more power is totally counter productive on this plane, usually the wings rip off. :p

It's almost done, but it still needs servos and an ESC.

image.jpg

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
It's been a while, but after 25 flights, 2 tree landings, and a 3s lipo upgrade I decided she needed some paint.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thoughts?

I might add another color, any ideas?

Oh, BTW: my brother who has less than 10 min of stick time was able to take off, fly 15 min, and land this plane no sweat. He wrecked 4 other planes in those previous 10 min.:eek:

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
...and I finally got some good in flight photos.(BTW, I was flying and holding my iPhone at the same time):D

image.jpg

image.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I LOVE the old GWS planes!!!!! I'm putting a spare GWS EPS 400c brushed motor on this one...3s and 9x5 prop or 2s and a 10x6

Gg2zpuH.png

ArcadeAir

Nice job with the build! Maybe add some black trim color here and there? I am in the process of deciding on my second plane and was thinking about a bi plane.... I like this one for sure!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Oh, cool! I've always wanted a zero!

I had to convert the moth to brushless today, the IPS gave out entirely.
I used a floater jet motor I rewound to 900 kv and a gws 7x6sf prop.
Good grief! The plane can take off in 2 feet, hover, fly inverted, loop, roll, and fly for 30 min when throttled back! :eek:
On a side note, there are 2 little kids in the neighborhood who love to watch me fly. Anyway, 1 (he is all of 2 years old) was watching me fly, so I landed and showed it to him. As soon as he got a good look at it, he said, "A biplane!" That gave me a funny idea. An hour later I gave him a "tiggy" glider made from pink 1/2" foam, skewers,and DTFB, it really made his day. That's what this hobby is all about! :D

Last edited:

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
On a side note, there are 2 little kids in the neighborhood who love to watch me fly. Anyway, 1 (he is all of 2 years old) was watching me fly, so I landed and showed it to him. As soon as he got a good look at it, he said, "A biplane!" That gave me a funny idea. An hour later I gave him a "tiggy" glider made from pink 1/2" foam, skewers,and DTFB, it really made his day. That's what this hobby is all about! :D

Man that is so cool! :applause:
Do you have a pic of what you gave him? I'm not sure what it looks like... It's kinda like a paper plane made from DTFB?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I'll try to get a photo. It looks like a pico cub with flat wings, it's the same scale, but I hand carved the fuselage to look a little better.

He's a good kid, and sharp as a tack.