Help me? Chronicals of a guy who can't fly very well...

xunedeinx

Plywood foamboard spar... CHECK!

15326353553092118645100168780971.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice! Just ensure that the wing sits flat on the fuselage.

Great Idea! Paint the carrots and use them as bombs:p.

Should fly well even if a little heavy!

Have fun!

xunedeinx

Nice! Just ensure that the wing sits flat on the fuselage.

Great Idea! Paint the carrots and use them as bombs:p.

Should fly well even if a little heavy!

Have fun!
Last one was 625 auw, so Im actually down 110g. Carrots make great bombs!

Hopefully it isnt too overweight. How much should a 125% tt even weigh? I can shave 50g by using my 850mah 3s lipo, but I dont need the power and I like the flight time, when I can keep jt up.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Use the Lipo that gives either best balance or best flight time. Just be aware that heavier means slightly faster.

From my builds anything over 450 is a bit heavy on a standard wing.

When you scale up unfortunately The weight climbs and the strength drops, if following the original plans.

There are ways to keep the weight down but they must be done during the build and are almost impossible to do after the build is finished.

As a simple guide the paper weighs 60% of the total FB weight and the foam only 40%.

Removing paper and adding some FB stringers can increase the strength with a lesser weight increase.

Wings are a bit more difficult to keep light in FB but if you remove all of the paper from the inside of the wing and use foam ribs then the wing can be stronger and lighter. Additionally lightening holes can be cut in the wing IF you use an additional wing covering such as tape or solafilm.

Tail feathers are almost impossible to lighten without making far to weak but it can be done with lightening holes if you add some spar like structure and perhaps the old fishing line guy wires.

Just a few things that work for me.

have fun!

xunedeinx

Well was in the area and stopped by LHS. Had some ok priced props, so I grabbed some to see what my motor can handle.
Normal prop is the orange 6045BN.
From left to right is 6045bn, 7038SF, 8030, and 8040e
15327173119553858012442821826522.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hailee, how much weihht do you reckon could be saved with a profile fuse?
If you go profile fuselage you will not save a great deal.

Simply the FB is too flexible over the length of the fuselage without adding stiffening or gluing 2 pieces of FB together. Then you need to ensure that the wing and tail are rigidly mounted to the Fuselage and therefore some sort of reinforced platform would be required, If you add all of these things together then the weight saving will not be great.

Better to see about lightening the fuselage during construction than to go profile.

With lightening you could achieve around 20% weight savings and possibly end up with a stronger fuselage if you add different structural materials. I did an exercise a fair while ago now on reducing weight and increasing strength on an FT Spitfire and the Spit is still flying though with a few wrinkles as the covering film has sagged a little. See:- https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/balsa-foamboard-test-build-ft-spitfire.32734/

Have fun!

xunedeinx

Flew it with my new prop. Crashed it again, busted up my fuse and killed another power pod. New idea time.... Pilot error, nothing more :(

xunedeinx

Man, this thing works great! Did about 20min of touch n goes, kinda. Taxi, liftoff, try to land. After 20 min started to actually get a little coordination. Making this tiny trainer a pusher with landing gear is the best thjng Ive done yet.

Does seem a little underpowered on the 2s though, but well see I guess.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Man, this thing works great! Did about 20min of touch n goes, kinda. Taxi, liftoff, try to land. After 20 min started to actually get a little coordination. Making this tiny trainer a pusher with landing gear is the best thjng Ive done yet.

Does seem a little underpowered on the 2s though, but well see I guess.
Time for you to publish your plans!

It might be exactly what someone is searching for!

Congratulations

Have fun!

xunedeinx

Time for you to publish your plans!

It might be exactly what someone is searching for!

Congratulations

Have fun!

Oh man its great. Probably have some more weight that can be shed, but it might do the trick.

How does sponz do his plans? And does he have the file for the tiny trainer? Wings and tail are 125%. Fuse is 100% jhst extended 5" in front of the leading edge. Rear of the fuse is cut where it would taper in. Powerpod slides in like it should be there. Rear wing tie down goes through the fuse where its marked and through the powerpod. The very front most leading edge of the tail is 8.5" back from the trailing edge of the wing. Twin booms are 4.25" from wing centerline and from vert stab. Can technically fit an 8" prop

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Oh man its great. Probably have some more weight that can be shed, but it might do the trick.

How does sponz do his plans? And does he have the file for the tiny trainer? Wings and tail are 125%. Fuse is 100% jhst extended 5" in front of the leading edge. Rear of the fuse is cut where it would taper in. Powerpod slides in like it should be there. Rear wing tie down goes through the fuse where its marked and through the powerpod. The very front most leading edge of the tail is 8.5" back from the trailing edge of the wing. Twin booms are 4.25" from wing centerline and from vert stab. Can technically fit an 8" prop
Ideally just draw up any parts you designed and whilst I cannot find it at the moment there was a thread with a list of the various TT add ons and modifications with links to the various threads.

As for Sponz you could always PM him if he has not read this thread or not commented.

Well done!

Have fun!