Help Picking a Model for 2S LiPo

Hi all,

I need some sage advice from the experienced builders here.

I came across a dusty 20 A ESC and a Maytech 2800 KV motor for 2-cell LiPo, and I wanted to put it on something.

It's supposed to run on a 7x3 or a 6x4 prop if I'm not mistaken on 2S. I have two 1300 mAh 2S lipos and two 800mAh 2S lipos at my disposal as well. So, I want to build something but I have no experience in scaling down the plans in the sense that I'm not sure what's the best approach in these situations and where should I start in general.

I remember I bought these items for a canard plane - my first ever scratch build. I built 3 and none of them flew :D It was the X-41 Deltastorm. I still think it's an awesome design but I couldn't handle it.

So, which plane would you suggest? Is there anything apart from the Nutball and Dart that I could put this on? Maybe the Sparrow? What else could I scale down and try? Tips, tricks, anything you have to add is welcome!

So far I've built the Nutball, Bloody Wonder, Explorer and Slinger. So preferably the setup should go on something else.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks,
T.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I always recommend a Das Little Stick as a great flyer to add to the hanger - and that motor should work great on it. Could hit a Tiny Trainer, or many of the other mini series planes too. Maybe try an FT Pietenpol - they are all the rage now. :)

Hi Rockyboy,

I have no clue why I didn't think of the Minis, but instead wanted to shrink the regular plans :D Anyway, I thought about your suggestions, browsed around, and finally brought home the plans for the Mini Mustang and the Mini Sparrow. I think I'm gonna put that set up on the Mustang ho ho. Builder weekend ahead!

Thanks for the suggestions brother!

Happy flying!
T.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sweet! I think you're in for a whole lot of fun! Good luck building, and don't forget to start a "build thread" to help along other noobs or post your experience in one of the giant build threads for the same model.

FT Mini Mustang (2S)

Ok almost there now :)

Wing done and body cut out. I'm using 6 mm. depron covered with monokote type film which is great substitute for the foamboard paper. This time though, I used Inkscape after stumbling upon this article to change the plans a bit, so I can offset the differences I get from using different thickness of foam (6 mm. instead of the 4.5 the plans are designed around).

20170228_235423.jpg

So far it's an easy build. Keep you posted :cool:

Cheers,
T.