Help with hand launch. What am I doing wrong, how to fix this? With video, iNav diff & dump

charge

Attachments

• Diff and Dump.txt
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0969.png
    IMG_0969.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Help with hand launch. What am I doing wrong, how to fix this? With video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZpoGaMvCBkTJWIK6Y-QTRSbJ_27z08vj/view?usp=sharing

It launches goes about 20 feet then does a left roll into the ground. Check video. Thank you!
The video looks like you are doing everything right.
Always when there is a left roll I think propeller torque. But that roll was huge and that prop looks tiny. :unsure:
Second guess is wing warp,
Third guess is the stabilization. I don't know how to read that code, but if you can see the servo moving on its, own, then that could be the cause.
Another guess is receiver or stabilization system orientation. I think that those with sensors need to be facing a certain direction, but I wouldn't know what or where, because I don't use stabilizers. Do you know what receiver or system is being used? I assumed back there that there was a stabilization system because you have code attached, but I don't know if that's true. In other words, because this might not be a mechanical problem, we might need more info on the model and setup.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Did you do step 1 first were you make sure when you move your sticks on your TX the correct way the RX screen shows the expected values? if any of those are wrong, then your stabilization will be backwards and amplify any issues.

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/...your-remote-endpoints-and-reversing-of-servos

I just ran into that very problem with my vtol and it did some intense yaw spins when I was trying to take off.

looking at your video, if it was in launch assist, it was rolling faster and faster as it went down, which would match the issue I indicated above.

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
First disable the flight stabilisation, more hassle than they are worth. You can always reintroduce it later, when you get your launch sorted.
Second check your controls are moving in the correct direction, in relation to yor gimbles.
Finally if its still happening, take of your prop, give it a toss and see if the same fault occurs whilst gliding ? That way you eliminate the motor from the equation.

charge

Are you launching in stabilised mode?
If so, double check your wing control surfaces are correcting in the right direction. The video looks like they were adding to the roll rather than correcting.

Thank you! This is the input I was curious about. I did the high five and when I move the aileron control stick right, the right aileron moves up. I'm wondering if iNav has that backwards.

charge

First disable the flight stabilisation, more hassle than they are worth. You can always reintroduce it later, when you get your launch sorted.
Second check your controls are moving in the correct direction, in relation to yor gimbles.
Finally if its still happening, take of your prop, give it a toss and see if the same fault occurs whilst gliding ? That way you eliminate the motor from the equation.

Great suggestion, take off prop!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Thank you! This is the input I was curious about. I did the high five and when I move the aileron control stick right, the right aileron moves up. I'm wondering if iNav has that backwards.
So put the plane in stabilised and see if it puts the right aileron up when you tip the plane to the left.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if they move the right way on the stick, but backward in the gyro, you need to reverse your direction in on your controller and in iNav. Which is why I said to do step 1 first, that way your controller and the iNav 'inputs' match. Then the high 5 will validate the movements of the surfaces correctly. Otherwise you have stick -> reverse -> iNav -> reverse -> surface. Since you have 2 reverses between the TX and surface, it looks right, but you only have 1 reverse between iNav and the service, so corrects 'backwards'.

charge

charge

sorry for the delay. The last flight with the video killed the fuselage. Once I got a new fuselage something went wrong with the FC-Servo connections and the controls would go quiet periodically, so I re-soldered the FC and when I booted it up it was brain dead - red light only, no blue or green. Now I'm building a completely new FC and I've spawned the project to two different models. I'll post next flight. Thanks!

T1TAN

Looking forward to a video!
Im also having similar problems with my ft cub, except mines rolling to the right, and my ailerons are trimmed and moving in the right direction.
Ill upload a video next time I go to the field

Looking forward to a video!
Im also having similar problems with my ft cub, except mines rolling to the right, and my ailerons are trimmed and moving in the right direction.
Ill upload a video next time I go to the field

I was having the same problem with my ft spitfire but it was rolling left. Some people in this forum advised me to use rudder instead ailerons when taking-off to counter the torque roll. The next time I flew I used the rudder instead of the ailerons and my plane didn’t roll to the left. After I was high in the air I started using the ailerons and they worked perfectly.

hope that this helps you,

ATK

Last edited:

T1TAN

I was having the same problem with my ft spitfire but it was rolling left. Some people in this forum advised me to use rudder instead ailerons when taking-off to counter the torque roll. The next time I flew I used the rudder instead of the ailerons and my plane didn’t roll to the left. After I was high in the air I started using the ailerons and they worked perfectly.

hope that this helps you,

ATK
Thanks for the tip! Ill try that next time.