It's great that you're not giving up! You'll get it eventually and you'll be able to trouble shoot without help.
Hi Everybody -
Wow! Thanks for all the replies and the advice. So to answer a couple of the questions that have been posed:
So thanks again for all the help and advice. I will post again after I build the new plane. I think that I should do this BEFORE I go ahead and try to build the duct tape plane!
- Crap! The dihedral on wind is not symmetrical. I used a dihedral on both sides when I built the wing and at the root they both have an angle of 15 degrees. However, the left side is straight and has a vertical height of 1 7/8" at the tip, but the right side is bowed upward such that its vertical distance is 2 7/8". Its obvious as I look at it now...
So that results in the left dihedral generating about 4% greater lift than the right.
- Thrust angle is 2 degrees right and 2 degrees down. At least that is the starting point. All bets are off once I crash.
- I probably did launch it at too high of an angle. I wanted my friend to take a video, so I launched it by myself.
- I didn't think that the elevator could make that much difference. BTW - the control surfaces were all trimmed to be level and I didn't even have time to adjust the stick.
- The control rod is shorted than the original design. I didn't notice the bent rod, but again the control sufaces were all level at launch.
- I did a test glide and it flew straight and level.
- The one issue that I have with the CG is that I always end up tail heavy. Is there a concern that adding putty as ballast would make the plane too heavy? This is the primary reason that I increased the length of the nose.
- And yes - I thing my tweaks are causing too many unknowns. Since I need to rebuild, I am going to follow the plans to the T. Also the CAD model is just an aside, I teach CAD to sophomore mechanical engineers, so creating a solid model is just 2nd nature.
wow... that was quite the crash. I crashed my TT endless times when I was learning to fly and none of them looked like that.
might just be related to the camera angle, but it looks like the tail may be bent also.