help with quad copter

prez14

I am currently 85% complete with my knuckles h quad build and I was wondering which configuration do I use on the KK 2.1.5 board to get the knuckles h quad copter to fly correctly?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
For an H quad, I think a standard X config would work fine. The FC doesn't care what shape the frame is, just where the motors are located. An H-quad doesn't have a perfectly square motor layout, but it's a rectangle, and that's close enough.

BankNYank!

Mentor
Yep. My H-Quad fly's fine with the 'X' configuration on a kk 2.1.5.

Also, I don't do anything crazy so mine fly's just fine on stock settings.

prez14

Thanks for the help do u happen to know what type of screw I should use to hold the KK board to the wood in the middle of the h quad copter?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
M3 screws are shipped out with the Flite Test kits, and seem pretty common among quad builders. You should be able to find them at a hardware store. You can probably also find an equivalent screw with a phillips or flat head, if you don't want to use hex keys.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Prez,

If you can get away with it, use two layers of foam mounting tape. It'll add vibration dampening to the board and improve it's flight characteristics. Just make sure you've got good adhesion (I have used a thin layer of rubber cement to tack it on when the tape's glue didn't hold well)

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

prez14

So I got my KK board in the mail plugged it in and the receiver connects to the transmitter but when I give it throttle nothing happens and in safe mode it says no yaw input also on receiver test it says on auxillary -129 OFF can some one please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it thank u

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
"Nothing happens" means that you can not arm the board too? Or does it arm if you move and hold the throttle stick down+right?

Do you see any changes on the receiver test at all if you move the sticks?

prez14

Yeah when im in receiver test and move the sticks the numbers change and it says what direction I'm putting it in and such but as I said the auxillary is -129 OFF and I only have a 5 ch receiver which the 5th channel is sopost to be for landing gear

prez14

So I was able to turn on the auxiliary but if I go on the KK board menu and go back it still says no yaw control but if I immediately bind my receiver and transmitter I'm able to arm it except all 4 props spin in the same direction and I also fell all the props aren't spinning at the right speed I have it set in quadcopter X configuration can some one please tell me how to fix this thank u

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
After 4 min or so Josh powers up the quad you here a jingle than one bleep then two.

the wird thing is I here jingle three bleebs and then one bleeb. everything seems to go wrong here.
I have been trying to solve my problem for about half a year now can somebody help me?

The beeping sequence depends on the ESCs you are using. Do you have a manual for them? Most ESCs beep S times when initializing with S being the number of battery cells. So on a 3 cell (3S) battery you will get three beeps.

Having the throttle in "up" position will make the ESC go into "programming" mode. In what order the different settings come up depends on your ESC. On mine the first beep is for calibration, but yours might be different.

If you tell us what ESCs you are using, we might be able to find that information too.

Are you using a KK board? I'm not sure about the older ones, but on the new ones you have to press the two outer buttons while powering the board (a third hand helps a lot) to go into a "passthrough" mode where the transmitter signal will be sent directly to all ESCs at once. This way you can calibrate all 4 ESCs at the same time.

Oh - and of course the transmitter has to be bound to the receiver. Otherwise you will not get any signals through from your sticks to the flight controller.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
So I was able to turn on the auxiliary but if I go on the KK board menu and go back it still says no yaw control but if I immediately bind my receiver and transmitter I'm able to arm it except all 4 props spin in the same direction and I also fell all the props aren't spinning at the right speed I have it set in quadcopter X configuration can some one please tell me how to fix this thank u

The motor direction is not controlled by the flight controller, but by the way they are wired from the ESCs. You have three wires there. The ESC sends power to these in the following order, making the motor turn:

1 - 2 - 3 -- 1 - 2 - 3 -- 1 - 2 - 3

To switch the direction of a motor, you have to switch two of those wires, for example 1 and 2:

2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3

I've used double dashes to make it more clear that the order is now 3 - 2 - 1, so the motor turns the other way round.

Make sure you have your motors turn in the direction the KK board shows under "motor layout" and that the right props (CW clockwise / CCW counterclockwise) are on their respective motors.

prez14

thanks balu My motors are turnigy park 300 1380KV and my esc are multi star 15amp made by turngy. The motors and ESC have 3 colored wires black, yellow, and red in that order so which of the ones should I switch

joshuabardwell

Mentor
thanks balu My motors are turnigy park 300 1380KV and my esc are multi star 15amp made by turngy. The motors and ESC have 3 colored wires black, yellow, and red in that order so which of the ones should I switch

It doesn't matter. With a three-phase motor, if you swap any two wires, the motor spins the other way.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
As in my above example if you switch any two wires you go from

1 - 2 - 3 -- 1 - 2 - 3 -- 1 - 2 - 3

Switching 1 and 2:

2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3

Switching 1 and 3:

3 - 2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1

Switching 2 and 3:

1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3 - 2 - 1 -- 3 - 2

So no matter which wires you switch, the order will be reversed :)

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Prez,

Just another suggestion for mounting your KK board;

I hot glued a square piece of dollar tree foam board larger than the KK shipping container foam box to the quad and let it dry. After it dries then glue the foam shipping KK box down in the proper orientation on to the DTFB. After it dries I installed my KK board in the foam box and held it down by putting toothpicks (facing fore and aft) just over the board. The board does not move and if you need to remove the KK board just pull the toothpicks out and it can be lifted out. My board does not move and the combination of the DTFB and KK foam box dampens vibration from the quadcopter. Also I learned the hard way when I landed upside down--- make sure you cover the KK board with foam or some type of cover so you do not bend/break pins off your KK board!!!