Hot Glue Gun

SrTelemaster 150

I saw a suggestion for a hot glue gun sold at Walmart on one of the many Flite Test videos I've watched. I don't want to go back and try to sift through all of them. Can anyone make some suggestions? I don't want to spend $40 or $45 for a hot glue gun, but I do want something that will get the job done. I don't expect to build more than 2 or 3 foamboard aircraft.

jtrops

I have used a few different ones, and the one I like most right now is the Elmers Craftbond Cordless 60w. It is hot enough that I can put beads in all of the score cuts on a long wing in one go, and it seems to have a valve in the nozzle that keeps if from dripping too much. This last bit puts it ahead of the Surebonder cordless that I also use.

The Elmers I bought was $16, and it looks like most places have it for around $20 at the moment. It didn't come with glue, but I had a huge box of glue already.

Also, I've been using the Elmers gun for about a year, and we have quite a few planes that have been built with it. It isn't showing any signs of stopping soon.

Swimjim

You find building/repairing these planes is like eating popcorn. Okay, I'll stop after one handful..........(-;

jaredstrees

I got a dewalt from home depot. Can't quite remember the cost but it wasn't too bad. 70 watts so does most everything and man does it heat up quick.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I got a dewalt from home depot. Can't quite remember the cost but it wasn't too bad. 70 watts so does most everything and man does it heat up quick.

That's what I've got, and I like it. It heats up fast, but I've hit on 2 "problems" with it - the first is that, as it heats up from cold to usable, the glue in the nozzle will leak out a little, so you get a glob of glue that falls onto the table/workbench. Essentially, you want something underneath it when you first have it warming up, like a paper plate, or scrap foam, or a napkin - something just to catch the glob of hot glue so it doesn't sit on your table.

The second issue, and it's a niggling one - the stand can get in the way when you're trying to run a bead of glue into a narrow section. It's easy enough to fold up by bumping it on the table or something, but then when you have to set the glue gun down, you have to try and flip it out by catching it on the edge of a table or something. Minor annoyance, I know...

Just an FYI, too - if you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or Jo-ann Fabrics near you, you can look for their 40-60% off coupons. My dad bought the Adtech for $13 at Jo-Ann Fabrics because he had a 60% off coupon.

jaredstrees

Yeah. I learned to put something underneath it. Use that as a wipe pad to clean the tip if needed. And the stand can get in the way, but I just lay it on its side on the paper used to catch the drips. I had an adtech catch on fire, so I won't use them anymore.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sr.
I've had a few glue guns and when it comes to building I want a large one with multiple temps, and a small nozzle. Small glue guns are ok but they can only go so fast. Large gins have a larger thermal mass to heat the glue and can keep up much better and you can also unplug them while they're hot and use them cordlessly for a little while if needed. Plus, during builds, using the small and short glue guns means having to stop and place glue sticks more often. The large guns also have a longer trigger draw which means more can be delivered with ease which is nice when you're laying down a long bead and need it to stay hot while you get the piece in place.

The only thing about large glue guns is that some have large nozzles. I don't like that at all as they already drool and the large nozzle just makes it worse.

Also, I have you posted a short intro about yourself? Our communicty here likes to know about its members like where they
fly, what they want to fly, and how long they've been in the hobby.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

SrTelemaster 150

Sr.
I've had a few glue guns and when it comes to building I want a large one with multiple temps, and a small nozzle. Small glue guns are ok but they can only go so fast. Large gins have a larger thermal mass to heat the glue and can keep up much better and you can also unplug them while they're hot and use them cordlessly for a little while if needed. Plus, during builds, using the small and short glue guns means having to stop and place glue sticks more often. The large guns also have a longer trigger draw which means more can be delivered with ease which is nice when you're laying down a long bead and need it to stay hot while you get the piece in place.

The only thing about large glue guns is that some have large nozzles. I don't like that at all as they already drool and the large nozzle just makes it worse.

Also, I have you posted a short intro about yourself? Our communicty here likes to know about its members like where they fly, what they want to fly, and how long they've been in the hobby.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37259-Simple-Storch-to-Get-the-Cobwebs-Out

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?37271-Optimum-Battery-Pack-Weight-For-Simple-Storch

TooJung2Die

Master member
adtech pro is what you want.

I have the Ad tech Pro80. I bought it at Walmart for under $20 if I remember correctly. It came with two interchangeable tips, regular and extended. No complaints. It gets the glue hot and pumps out whatever amount is needed even multiple beads up to 30 inch length. I checked the Walmart web site and they no longer stock it.

matthew954

I just found the Ad Tech Pro 80+ at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/professional-industrial-glue-gun-95939.html

I just got my first FT model for Christmas, the FT Sea Otter. How is this glue gun for assembling models? Up until my little hiatus from the hobby, I just used the little cheap $5 guns from Wal-Mart for the cheap little foamies. I know the Pro 200 is highly recommended, but the cheapest I've found it so far is at Home Depot for $39. I only ask being that I'm trying to get back into the hobby on a much tighter budget.

The Pro 200 at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Adtech-Pro-200-Industrial-Full-Size-Glue-Gun-0189/300389337

TooJung2Die

Master member
I have the AdTech Pro 80. Good glue gun. Lays down long beads of glue without giving up. I've used it to build some long glider wings and it didn't fail me. Harbor Freight doesn't have the best price on this glue gun unless you use a coupon at the store.

SrTelemaster 150

I have the Ad tech Pro80. I bought it at Walmart for under $20 if I remember correctly. It came with two interchangeable tips, regular and extended. No complaints. It gets the glue hot and pumps out whatever amount is needed even multiple beads up to 30 inch length. I checked the Walmart web site and they no longer stock it.

I have the AdTech Pro 80. Good glue gun. Lays down long beads of glue without giving up. I've used it to build some long glider wings and it didn't fail me. Harbor Freight doesn't have the best price on this glue gun unless you use a coupon at the store.

FOUND ONE ON E-BAY FOR $20.14 SHIPPED.

I think I'll get it. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
My dad got his Adtech Pro at Joann Fabrics, for something like $15, using a 60% off coupon - might be worth it for people to check there too, and use the store coupons. :)

SrTelemaster 150

My dad got his Adtech Pro at Joann Fabrics, for something like $15, using a 60% off coupon - might be worth it for people to check there too, and use the store coupons. :)

By the time I make a 50 mile round trip to the nearest Joann Fabrics and pay sales tax, (if they have one in stock) I'd be money ahead paying $20 for the e-bay item.

theSTOL-er

That's what I've got, and I like it. It heats up fast, but I've hit on 2 "problems" with it - the first is that, as it heats up from cold to usable, the glue in the nozzle will leak out a little, so you get a glob of glue that falls onto the table/workbench. Essentially, you want something underneath it when you first have it warming up, like a paper plate, or scrap foam, or a napkin - something just to catch the glob of hot glue so it doesn't sit on your table.

The second issue, and it's a niggling one - the stand can get in the way when you're trying to run a bead of glue into a narrow section. It's easy enough to fold up by bumping it on the table or something, but then when you have to set the glue gun down, you have to try and flip it out by catching it on the edge of a table or something. Minor annoyance, I know...

Just an FYI, too - if you have a Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or Jo-ann Fabrics near you, you can look for their 40-60% off coupons. My dad bought the Adtech for $13 at Jo-Ann Fabrics because he had a 60% off coupon.
If you have problems with the stand you could just take it off and 3d print a stand if you have acess to a printer.

I use this stand from thingiverse, its free and works great! only problems are me melting part of it (my fault) and that my glue gun slides down on the stand because of its size, but the fix for that is to put something between the base of the stand and the handle of the glue gun (I use a roll of electrical tape) to keep it from sliding.