How to wire elevons?

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
Does anyone know how to wire the elevons like on the Versa Wing? I know for ailerons for the FT 3D I had to solder the wires from the two servos together. How would you wire the Versa Wing?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Elevons need to be on separate channels -- when they act like an elevator, they move together, but when they act like ailerons, they oppose each other.

how to wire depends on the radio, but if your radio can mix it, it's typically one servo to elevator, and the other to aileron . . . and the radio figures out the rest. which one to which, I can never get straight without trying it out . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I think it might even vary from radio to radio, just to add some variety to the mix, Dan! But IIRC left goes to aileron, right goes to elevator. Or maybe it's the other way around...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
. . . and then the question, did I plug them in swapped or do the throws need to be reversed?!?!? :confused:

I get it straight, but not always the first time out.

DDSFlyer

I've always wondered after building my Versa wing and my B2 bomber, with my DX6i tx I went tot eleven mixing, got the servos right, but when I enter the inputs I can get great aileron control bit my elevator travel is only half of the full aileron travel? Is that a setting issue on my DX6i? What other setting am I missing? I even tried to increase the travel setting on the radio to 125% for elevator and aileron to no avail. I can get decent roll ability but not very good elevator authority...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I know what you're talking about DDS, others have mentioned it too. I think it's something in the way Spektrum's radio firmware works -- it limits elevator in the mix. It's probably there to leave headroom for aileron to add to the mix when under hard elevator.

If you haven't used your mixes, you can add elevator to R-AIL and/or L-AIL. Be advised, in Spektrum's mixing, adding a signal to one will increase the "together" movement, the other will increase the "opposed" movement -- I don't recall which is which so you'll need to play with it. Between the 125% throw and mixing in another 125%, you should be able to command the full servo throw . . . but work your way up to full throw . . .

DDSFlyer

I did end up increasing the travel adjustment to 125%, but are you saying just do it to one channel and see if that will make up the difference for just elevator travel and not aileron? It wasn't too big an issue on the versa wing but my b2 bomber build it was annoying. Just wanted to learn this for future reference since I don't fly either very often now

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
not quite.

In the servo setup menu Set both R-AIL and L-AIL to match. 100 or 125, it won't matter if the mix will add on top of this.

Then go into the mixing menu and mix ELEV with the R-AIL (or L-AIL this is what I can't remember) with 0 offset and 50/50 throw. This will mix an extra 50 points to the elevator response (or aileron response if I got it backward). Tie the mix to a switch to make the effect obvious.

Go to the monitor menu and move the elevator stick to max, and flip the switch on. you should see the elevator response jump up quite a few points, and if your plane is powered, the surfaces should jump as you flip the switch. Center and they should go to neutral. If flipping the switch casued one to go up and the other down, mix it to the other channel.

If that works, keep adding points to the travel and mix until you get what you'd call full throw, then turn the mix to always on (get it off that switch). Theoretically, you could mix a full 250% going into the elevator "half" of the elevon servos, which hopefully will overcome any scaling that Spektrum has artifically induced.

I'll double check this on my wing and DX7s when I get home, but this should work . . . we'll see . . .

DDSFlyer

Wow...that's a complicated solution to what was supposed to be an easy action...j/k. Hopefully this will correlate to the lower DX6i...of course I could just upgrade to the DX7s or DX8 and it would be nicer...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mix setups are usually far too complicated for what they are, but they are powerful tools -- it's a shame Spektrum limited the 6i to just two.

It's a crippling limitation, IMO, but then again my 7S could *easily* run an eighth channel if it weren't crippled in the firmware -- it already sends 8 numbers to the receiver it just chooses to set one of them to 0. With a mix and an 8 ch rx, I could easily automate that last channel to be a thrust differential or a second rudder (with it's own trims) or lights that respond to other channels. But no -- you have to spend another $100 for a backlight, one extra knob and the uncrippled firmware.

</soapbox>

I suppose they just want to keep it complicated enough to make it hard on Dentists in Ca . . .

DDSFlyer

Mix setups are usually far too complicated for what they are, but they are powerful tools -- it's a shame Spektrum limited the 6i to just two.

It's a crippling limitation, IMO, but then again my 7S could *easily* run an eighth channel if it weren't crippled in the firmware -- it already sends 8 numbers to the receiver it just chooses to set one of them to 0. With a mix and an 8 ch rx, I could easily automate that last channel to be a thrust differential or a second rudder (with it's own trims) or lights that respond to other channels. But no -- you have to spend another $100 for a backlight, one extra knob and the uncrippled firmware.

</soapbox>

I suppose they just want to keep it complicated enough to make it hard on Dentists in Ca . . .

Haha...they have to keep us humble somehow...j/k. Yeah but you can just find a used DX8 for almost the same price so maybe I'll just upgrade! Still have to test out this theory on the B2, then I may not scrap that plane and use it's guts for a new versa wing.