If you were going to build a Sparrow for sloping...

jtrops

I have been playing around using the Sparrow for slope soaring in PhoenixRC. It has been fun, and a little challenging compared to other planes I've played with.

So, off hand I imagine I'll want to build a sparrow a little heavier than normal to put up with the winds that we have in the Colorado Front Range.

What else would you do to modify the Sparrow for slope soaring?

Piotrsko

Master member
Unless you intend to break it, just build it normal and add ballast to deal with the wind. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and use a different airframe, but it's really cool to have a light lift ship for those dead days. I have been known to tape a 16" crescent wrench to the bottom of my slopers, but don't try that. And generally the further away from the slope, the slower the wind but vetting out there and subsequently landing..............

jtrops

Well, since i have 3 Sparrows in the stable at the moment, and the winter winds howling it will be easy to try. I'll see if I can find a more gentle slope for winter flying with a lightweight airframe. The standard slopes around here are probably a bit much for this bird (crescent wrench?).

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I have been playing around using the Sparrow for slope soaring in PhoenixRC. It has been fun, and a little challenging compared to other planes I've played with.

So, off hand I imagine I'll want to build a sparrow a little heavier than normal to put up with the winds that we have in the Colorado Front Range.

What else would you do to modify the Sparrow for slope soaring?

Are you building the fuse for the original Sparrow or the Twin Sparrow? I advise building the Twin Sparrow fuselage.
The nose slips off, and allows for better battery placement (top/bottom/CG) and easier access.

jtrops

I'm not familiar with the "twin Sparrow." I have a few sparrows banging around, and I thought I'd modify one for sloping. I'm gonna look into the twin right now.

EDIT:
The twin sparrow is really cool. This is a good idea for making the slope sparrow. For power I'm planning on using a 4 AA battery pack that I use on my other slope soarers. It really just adds balast, and powers the servos. Although this one only has two servos instead of 6. I could probably get away with a 1s with a voltage booster (i have these for a DLG project I have in the works).

it looks like the removable nose could be done to one of my existing Sparrows without too much trouble. I do like the idea of having a couple of spare noses in the field box.

Last edited: