Introduction from me to you

sgt_gadget

Hello everyone I have never joined a rc forum before but I have been watching quite a few of the videos with Josh and Josh and always found them to be informative and very interesting. I love the humor and the way they speak, clear enough for a beginner to understand but not boring to someone with experience in the hobby.

I learned to fly rc planes with a craft yellow box radio way back in the 70s. There were no RTF, or ARFs available at least not in my area. No li-po batteries and everyone flew gas or glow. In those days if you wanted a plane you built it, there was no other option. The building experience I gained over the years has gotten me a good number of planes free. Today a lot of the guys I fly with have never built a plane and have no idea how. I have gotten quite a few models that were re-kitted and the owner had no idea how to repair them. Instead of the trash can, they wound up in my trailer to fly again.

Nothing takes the mystery out of repairs like building a few dozen yourself. Compared to a build a repair is easy. I was very pleased to see the videos cover a lot of building and modifications. Nothing is worse to me than to see someone new to the hobby re-kit a plane on the first flight and give up in discouragement, and I have seen it too many times.

I look forward to speaking, (or texting e-mailing etc) with other people who share the love of models. Please feel free to e-mail me anytime just to say hello or for any reason. By the way if anyone is near Lake City, South Carolina this weekend 02/19-21/16 you should drop by the Tiger field for the swap/trade meet. (I hope it is ok to post that here)

earthsciteach

Welcome to the forum! There are a good number of us builders on here. I also have a bad habit of adopting "less than desirable" airplanes that follow me home. In fact, I recently acquired a pile of planes, plans, engines, and a couple of Kraft radios from the late 60s and early 70s. I'm working on restoring a Grand Esprit sailplane that I scored on craigslist. I have a weakness for old, neglected airplanes. Ooph!

sgt_gadget

Welcome to the forum! There are a good number of us builders on here. I also have a bad habit of adopting "less than desirable" airplanes that follow me home. In fact, I recently acquired a pile of planes, plans, engines, and a couple of Kraft radios from the late 60s and early 70s. I'm working on restoring a Grand Esprit sailplane that I scored on craigslist. I have a weakness for old, neglected airplanes. Ooph!

That is great, is it the short kit? A friend of mine many years ago built one and the first time he tried to fly it he forgot to turn on the receiver and launched it. It flew great right across the field and into a pine tree. We were all sick about it. I myself have never flown a glider other than a electric power glider but love to watch them soar. Nothing else is so graceful.

earthsciteach

The Esprit I bought was built back in the 70s. It was in rough shape, but the structure is all there and gives me a lot to work with. I have a build thread going: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24717-Grand-Esprit-Renovation&highlight=grand+esprit

I'm plugging along on it and hope to have it flying by summer. I also have a partially built Midwestern Lil' T that I will pick away at until its done, along with too many other projects to admit to. :black_eyed: