jacMM P51 Mustang Build log

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Intro:

Clip.png

After building 2 of my own designs, flying one… and failing, I decided that it would be an excellent idea to try my hand at redesigning an original FT design. After watching the success of Mighty Mini cruiser, and the speedster, I couldn’t help but wonder how the war birds would fair. After watching the FT FliteFest video [again] and seeing the 200% Mustang, I knew that would be the best design to miniaturize! So I downloaded the plans and imported them into SketchUp to begin the conversion.

A trend that seemed to be emerging for most of the mini airframes was a reduction to about 55% of the models original size. So, after investigating what the wing size would be settled on 56%. The area that needed the most adjustment was the under cambered wing which was increased by around 15%. I sketched the side panels of the fuse and allowed the inside to accommodate the MM PowerPod (Download the model here!). The Mustang had originally been designed with down thrust dialed into the original power pod, and I had a feeling that this design also did. The model also uses the MM PowerPod with the 6 Degrees of thrust built in. I was also amazed by the fact that the entire airframe can be cut from a single sheet of DTFB!

The original plans that I used did not have any references marks or lines so as I was going through the build I added the reference lines that will be needed for the build. I also encountered a small issue not allowing me to access the servos from the way the fuse was originally designed so in order to access the servos I will be adding an optional access panel in the same way the front hatch works for servo access and maintenance. Just like the FT planes, there are no reference lines on the plans for aligning the PowerPod, and will allow each person to custom fit the PowerPod placement to the motor.

Electronics:

Current configuration;
Basic:

EMAX 1750 250 Quad Motor
APC 6x4 Prop
10Amp Plush ESC
800Mah 2S Nano Tech Battery
Tactic 625 Rec/ TTX650 Trans
4 5g Servo’s (Initial set up: 2 9g, 2 5g)

Speed setup:
6x7 Prop
2210 250W motor or Equivalent
25Amp Plush ESC
1000Mah 2S/3S
4 5g Metal Gear Servo’s

Specs:

Length:​
18"
Wingspan:​
22.75"
Anticipated Learning Level:​
Beginner/Intermediate (first 4 Channel)
Build Level:​
Intermidiate
# of Sheets of foam:​
AUW:​
TBD

Plans:

V1 Shown:
View attachment Foam.jpg

Build:

1 Sheet DTFB
3 BBQ Skewers
2 Zip Tie’s
1 Sheet of Shrinkie Dinks ThermoPlastic
30” of .062mm Music wire
15” of .2mm Music Wire
1.5” diameter Landing Gear

Build Level: Intermediate

Build Log:

The first thing I began to put together was the fuselage, as many of the reference marks I made needed to be aligned by hand. Going by the last couple of FT MM designs I placed the servos just behind the CG [which sits about ¼ ” behind the first bend on the wing]. I also decided to recess the servos into the foam to allow space for a linkage stoppers, this is optional.
DSCN0711.jpeg
The next step was to fold out the wings. Just like the FT MM Cruiser, the wing only requires a spacer to give the correct Armin wing for lift. Using the lines of the wing I had copied this component straight out of SckethUp without allowing any room for the folded foam [oops]. Instead I beveled the corners of the spacers and glued them in place and the wing folded without a hitch.
DSCN0712.jpeg DSCN0714.jpeg DSCN0715.jpeg DSCN0716.jpeg DSCN0713.jpeg
The fun part came when installing the servos, I recommend using 5g servos, they will be much easier to install rather than fighting with a 9g. They did fit nicely on the wing, it just looks way too big for the little wing. Setting up the alignment is very simple, about 2”/5cm off the under cambered tip is where the servo aligns best.
DSCN0718.jpeg DSCN0719.jpeg DSCN0721.jpeg DSCN0723.jpeg
The final modification to the design [which will be added to the plans v2.] was the hatch. Made by simply using a hot glue joint on the 50% score cut. Once it dries, reinforce with packing tape on the paper side of the joint. Next, remove the paper on the front portion of the hatch, and cover with packing tape. Using the BBQ Skewer, close the zip tie, and then cut the end at an angle. Once complete measure on the plane the location for the holes (in the plans there will be references for holes.
DSCN0726.jpeg DSCN0727.jpeg DSCN0728.jpeg DSCN0742.jpeg DSCN0743.jpeg

The new plans will be coming out soon, I have also added a landing gear and will add the reference marks for that as well as the "servo access hatch for changing the servos mounted in the fuse.
Review:

Coming Soon

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Very nice mini mustang build/design you made joel. Cant wait to hear about the flight and review

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Hoho, if you want speed jcannon614, I can put my mini 4s setup in it.:D So many planes to build, so little time.

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
I'm sure a 4S would take that thing just under 100! I'll post the updates plans tonight ;) extra incentive to give it a try!

Christopher14

Thanks, I just need to get some more foam though. My mini 4s setup generates a pitch speed of 125mph with a full battery.:D I can't wait!

Last edited:

jayz 84

Looking back at you build joel. I noticed that you still used the down thrust tab. Now did you thin that tab out, cause the down thrust angle is far less then the thickness of foam board, like the fullsize mustang uses. Im just worried you may have to much. On the 80% builds we do we cut it out period. And just use the washer trick or built into the foam pod like the mighty minis have, right angle/down

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
That's an exclent question and I'm glad you brought it up. I kept it in but reduced the size of the piece that gives the down thrust, I also "crushed the foam" as much as I could to still keep the nose strength without losing the doe thrust. After doing some "tests" during high speed taxing and take off and landing, the plane seems to be flying true and straight. If I find in the maiden that there is too much down thrust I'll try and come up with an alternate way of producing that effect :) it's funny you brought it up jay, that toughy crossed my mind for sure.

jayz 84

That's an exclent question and I'm glad you brought it up. I kept it in but reduced the size of the piece that gives the down thrust, I also "crushed the foam" as much as I could to still keep the nose strength without losing the doe thrust. After doing some "tests" during high speed taxing and take off and landing, the plane seems to be flying true and straight. If I find in the maiden that there is too much down thrust I'll try and come up with an alternate way of producing that effect :) it's funny you brought it up jay, that toughy crossed my mind for sure.

;) good to hear

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Hey guys, Im sorry I havent been able to update the post. I am very busy with work and the weather isnt playing well. Ill let y'all know as soon as I can get out to maiden!

jayz 84

Hey guys, Im sorry I havent been able to update the post. I am very busy with work and the weather isnt playing well. Ill let y'all know as soon as I can get out to maiden!

Ha i feel you on that one. I have 70hour work week ahead of me this week( no days off) and the weather has just sucked down here. Hope you get it out soon man good luck

Christopher14

It's been snowing for the last few days up here.:( I still haven't gotten the video of one of my planes yet.

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
IMG_4612.JPG
Well V1 went....Okay. I think the issue boiled down to the following;
1. Not enough elevator control.
2. Not enough rudder control.
3. A tad to nose heavy.

So in V2, I think I am going to be making it a 60% version with no Power-pod and a mounted firewall instead.
I wont be working on this one for a while while Im working on the P47.