Laser Cutting Foam

dmlong

I have access to a laser cutter at a maker space, but they are cautious about people using it to cut foam. I’m assuming that foam produce toxic fumes when being cut, but the vent system on most laser cutter should filter this out.

Are the flite test foam boards safe for laser cutting, and will it produce the same toxic fumes like other foams?

Derrick

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
The issue is if you have the wrong speed you will either melt it to the point it catches on fire because you are going to slow or just burn halfway through or even less if you go too fast. The other issue is if it does catch on fire, foam melts and creates such a toxic thick smoke it will destroy the maker place. Flitetest had one catch on fire and the smoke destroyed the old shipping office. I can't find the video but there is one of the aftermath.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I didn't have the fire. I honestly forgot what the cause was but it was bad enough that the room needed to be repainted, ceiling tiles replaced and if I remember correctly half the stock that was in the room was unusable due to the smoke damage. The only good out of it was the laser only had minor damage and was able to be rebuilt by the company. The crews quick actions with the fire extinguishers probably saved it.

abieex

Mentor
I cut foam and Depron kits most every day and the variables are speed, height adjustment, power. Another consideration is clean mirrors and a very clean bed of rails. The machine is generally pretty forgiving but leaving it in cut mode by itself can be very bad. Ask me how I know!!