LEAVE THE PROP OFF WHILE MESSING WITH THE RADIO ON THE BENCH!!!!!!

chuck plains

This is what happens if you screw up!! :black_eyed:
The irony? I always tell others "Remove the prop when installing and or adjusting the rest of the electronics."

hand damage.jpg

prop damage.jpg

Yeap. I was checking the control surfaces on a crazy slow fly delta and went to reverse channel 4, but reversed 3 instead. So the throttle channel receives the instruction that off is no longer off, and is now full power! Ouchies! And the cat refused to come back into the house for 2 hours because he was scared of the shouty man! :(

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I admit that I'm lazy and I keep the prop on. But I usually set the plane on the floor and facing away from me when I adjust my Tx. Once I did have the throttle get reversed on me, but the floor stopped the prop from spinning. Not good for the motor, but good for my hands.

But I do completely agree with keeping the prop off until last minute. I've started to do this more because I starting using cheap GWS props. One spin of the motor with something is in the way and those props shatter. Not good on the wallet.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I did the very same thing yesterday as instructions on my hk tx/rx were wrong and my channel was reversed. I had a prop saver on and prop flew clean across the room and "O Ring" still has not been found. Wife got after me as blood every where and she had just moped the floor. I bet I take the prop off next time!!!!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If you build then this has probably happened to you. This is the second or third thread on this topic that I've seen. I started one a couple years ago. It always sucks and the pain doesn't compare to how dumb you feel. It s good to keep bringing this up. If thanks for sharing. Sorry it was your turn.

Shadowolf

Heres my mishap Don't look if your squeamish and the Picture is taken the day after when it stopped bleeding. :eek:

IMG335.jpg

lonewolf7717

This is a bit different but still a good reminder that we have responsibility to take safety seriously. A lot of people fly in public places and there's always a risk of losing control and hurting yourself or others. Anyway, watch the video.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/05/us/new-york-toy-helicopter/index.html
Whoa! Really! this guy was quite the youtube hit. I was even a subscriber at on time....sorta weird to be going through his video now. I am getting conflicting stories...one being his throat was cut and the other his head was shall we say adversely affected by a spinning blade. Sounds like he did a high start autorotation straight down on top of himself and powered up at exactly the wrong time....sad.

lonewolf7717

As to the prop safety issue....if your TX has a built in T-cut function....use it. I still pull props off when working on the bench but also a few close calls when out flying and lanyard gets hung around throttle stick. Get in the practice to flipping that T-cut switch as soon as on ground or in set up prior to launch.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
As to the prop safety issue....if your TX has a built in T-cut function....use it. I still pull props off when working on the bench but also a few close calls when out flying and lanyard gets hung around throttle stick. Get in the practice to flipping that T-cut switch as soon as on ground or in set up prior to launch.

I too always use my throttle cut. I usually end up bumping the throttle when trying to juggle stuff around. Like when I don't want to set my Tx on the dirt when inspecting my plane after an unplanned landing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
+1 on throttle cut. I use mine religiously. It's very difficult to get to my motor wires on my helicopter so I usually use the throttle hold when I have to work on it. For planes though, you're taking a huge risk. Throttle hold is great in the field though. I have every singled one of my models programmed with throttle hold (cut) and most of the guys I fly with are starting to do it too. I'll try to find the pictures of my slashed up body parts thanks army supercub.

chuck plains

I think I read about Roman's death on RC Groups a day or so after it happened. :'¬( Feel so sad for his family.

PLEASE BE SAFE PEOPLE!! IN THE WORKSHOP AND ON THE FIELD.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I hate to see people hurting themselves but I know it happens so I'm glad to see this topic come up from time to to time.

Airforce101

The danger is all too clear to me. My LHS-guy's right hand has a thumb, index and middle finger, but that's it...

I use the throttle cut on my radio all the time (except when I'm actually flying of course :rolleyes:) because the prop-in-slot design of the parkjets I have flown thus far make it hard to take the prop of, but TBH I have to be careful I do not reverse the channel or bump the switch so there is still some risk.

Shadowolf

I got my finger when I was changing a setting in the TX and it must have passed over a Thr parameter and sent the motor wide open and I had the throttle cut switch on. Should have disconnected the motor wires and or prop.