Lipo Dead Cell?

Tumbledown

Hi all,

just had a weird thing happen to one of my 3 lipos
Firstly I was charging the lipo, and I noticed that it was taking a long time to charge.

after about 80 min I decided to have a look at the cell voltages.

cell 1 - 4.2
cell 2 - 4.2
cell 3 - 3.7

I always balance charge at 1c and never had an issue.
I checked the cell resisted but I cannot remember the exact values but they were under 10 mhome

the battery felt warm and decided to put in a safe place (ie in case of fire)

After a few hours I decided to have another look at the voltages a resistance (now it cooled down)

Cell 1 - 4.2
cell 2 - 4.2
Cell 3 - no reading.

thinking this was odd I looked at the cell resisted cell and it also gave no reading.

measuring the cell with a multimeter I was getting just over 1v.
is this cell dead/unrecoverable?

There are no signs of damage and the battery is not puffy.
I'm resigned to the fact that it is dead, so any improvement from here is a bonus

Steve

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
I would say you may as well call it dead, as either that cell is toast, or the balance lead from that cell is faulty/damaged. Someone else here may have some recovery tips, but if it wasn't an exceptionally expensive battery you're better off to just dispose of it and get a few more.

Tumbledown

Looks like the balance lead is fine as the voltage adds up when measured across the XT60. :(

I guess this hooby's next lesson is how to dispose of lipos.

always learning!

Tumbledown

Thanks press.:D

I appreciate the link. I don't want to come across as ungrateful.
Being brief as I'm typing on a tablet, and auto correct messes with my head.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Not advocating you use a 'questionable' battery. BUT, for 'educational purposes' :rolleyes: it could be used as a heavy 2S.

Using a slightly modified version of rcmodelreview's hack, it could be charged and used, leaving out the dead cell.

Ocean

Not advocating you use a 'questionable' battery. BUT, for 'educational purposes' :rolleyes: it could be used as a heavy 2S.

Using a slightly modified version of rcmodelreview's hack, it could be charged and used, leaving out the dead cell.

Or

Open up the pack, remove the dead cell and rewire it as a new 2s. I believe David does this when he has a dead cell.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
I've found lipo disposal to be super simple in my area... I just throw them in the car and drive down to batteries plus and hand them over. They dispose of them with no charge.

Tumbledown

Or

Open up the pack, remove the dead cell and rewire it as a new 2s. I believe David does this when he has a dead cell.

Yeah I was thinking that, but didn't want to mention it as a new member.
(Safety police would be all over it) :D

just thinking what I could use a 2s 4000mah battery for
Maybe for a future project as i loath throwing anything away if it is salvageable

(Ground station power supply?)

Last edited: