Looking for iNAV settings for QUAD with 9"-10" props (F450, F550 frames)

ravid824

I built a QUAD with Matek F722-SE and 9" props to have higher trust so I can use higher quality camera.
I am not using the drone for racing else for photography.

Currently the out-of-the box presets for INAV 2.6 (and older) works well for quads with 3-7" props.
I used the 9" profile and the behavior is very very bad, easily can results with crashes.

Can someone share settings for 9"-10" props (quad F450, F550 frams)?
If this settings works well, I can ask to embed it in the software so it will be a default 9" profile.

Thank you

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Every frame/build needs different settings, the defaults are just starting points.

Can we get a picture of the quad?
What is the quad frame made from?
Do you have your black box information?
Have you gone though standard PID tuning?

ravid824

Pictures attached
What is the quad frame made from?
The center body is carbon, the arms from plastics. Runs with 920KV 200W motors and Hobbyking 9x4.7 props. I used similar frame configuration with Pixhawk, Naza V2 controllers and it fly beautiful.

Do you have your black box information?
No I don't, I could fly it for long since it is NOT stable.

Have you gone though standard PID tuning?
I don't know how to do the PID tuning, this is why I am asking if someone did it already.

Attachments

• F450-2.jpg
    F450-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • F450-1.jpg
    F450-1.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

No one can PID tune your quad for you unless they had an (almost) exactly the same build (not just the same size props/arms) because the PID tune is effected by the mechanical aspects of the craft (the moments of moment of inertia, mass, torque of the motors, etc).

searching YouTube for "pid tuning tutorial" gives multiple different tutorials (and methods) for tuning PIDs. Without seeing the bad flights or black box info, I don't know that anyone could give specific suggestions on how to improve the PID tunes.

Are the plastic arms stiff or is there any play in them? how is the mounting of Flight controller? etc.etc...

FWIW, my vtol, which is _nothing_ like a quad hovers badly in angle mode on the default quad PIDs [I still need to tune it], so I am surprised that you can't get your quad to hover at all, which is part of the reason why I wonder if there is a mechanical/etc issue with your setup.

ravid824

Thanks for your replies.
I know that I need to make fine tuning to the PID setting. I am not looking for the perfect settings for my drone, just need good initials starts points that will fly the drone reasonably ( I flu the iNAV on smaller 5" frames and the default setting are really very good.
I can learn how to tune the PID, but in the PID window there are additional tabs to set filtering and other and other settings which I don't have a clue what they are doing.
The plastic arms are very stiff, I am flying with the same body Pixhawk and there are no issues with it,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I am able to hover, there is no problem with the setup. When I try to move the drone forward or backward I can't control it safely, it is very sensitive to any stick move.
I will add micro SD card , set the blackbox and send the logs soon.

Regards

JasonK

if it hovers, but is just very sensitive, you might want to turn down your rates (which determines how fast it pitches, yaws, or rolls for a given input).