• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Looping Louie plane 2.0

#1
About two years ago, I made a mini version of the plane from the game Looping Louie with moderate success. I got it to fly, but it was too heavy and the h-stab was too small. Now I finally wanted to make it a proper project, and because bigger is better, I scaled it up to 200%, with a wingspan of 1 Meter. Other Changes include a much larger horizontal stabelizer, a steerable rudder, closed bottom and a fake radial engine and spinner. Because its the white maker foam, it was really easy to paint.

Tomorrow, I will add engine details and exhausts, and then I will wait for better weather for the maiden.

IMG_20200322_160447.jpg

IMG_20200322_200252.jpg

IMG_20200322_213240.jpg

IMG_20200322_213332.jpg

IMG_20200322_213346.jpg
IMG_20200322_213501.jpg
 
#3
Added details!
For the engine, I just painted skewers in silver and glued them on the cylinders, and I really like the result. And I added the exhausts, which look really cool.

In my opinion, this is one of the best looking planes ever, the shape and proportions are just perfect.

At 1 Meter wingspan, the flying weight is 560 gramms, which is OK I guess. One crazy thing is that this is just running on 2 cells, which allows me to spin a bigger prop that is actually bigger than the huge cowling.

IMG_20200323_111341.jpg
IMG_20200323_111416.jpg
IMG_20200323_111457.jpg
 

mayan

Well-known member
#5
About two years ago, I made a mini version of the plane from the game Looping Louie with moderate success. I got it to fly, but it was too heavy and the h-stab was too small. Now I finally wanted to make it a proper project, and because bigger is better, I scaled it up to 200%, with a wingspan of 1 Meter. Other Changes include a much larger horizontal stabelizer, a steerable rudder, closed bottom and a fake radial engine and spinner. Because its the white maker foam, it was really easy to paint.

Tomorrow, I will add engine details and exhausts, and then I will wait for better weather for the maiden.

View attachment 162734
View attachment 162735
View attachment 162736
View attachment 162737
View attachment 162740 View attachment 162741
Love it!
 
#11
Maidened it!

But a lot of work had to be done because I was really dump. I put it on the ceiling over my bed, decause it looks nice, but at the middle of the night, it fell down ripping the motor mount. The next day I reinforced it with wood. The Spinner was out of balance and needed adjustments. Then I could finally maiden it. There was a little bit of wind, but with very bad turbulances. Everything went well, but the CG was very far back, so after trimming it had very good maneuverability, but was also very unstable. Whenever hitting a turbulence the nose went up like crazy. Luckily, the wing is impossible to stall, so nothing bad happened. I think the unstability is because of the profile, which shifts the center of lift forward when the angle of attack increases.

Solutions:

Move the CG forward and trim a little up.

Bend both ailerons up, just like on a flying wing.

Flight video will come in a couple days.
 
#12
Video!

I used my Runcam for recording, so its crappy audio and a little fisheye effect.

There was almost zero wind, it flew pretty perfect, extreamely maneuverable and it was a nice cruiser. Making it only 2cell was a good decision. I think its not for the absolute beginner, because it doesnt handle wind very well.



The next thing I might try are flaperons.
 

mayan

Well-known member
#14
Video!

I used my Runcam for recording, so its crappy audio and a little fisheye effect.

There was almost zero wind, it flew pretty perfect, extreamely maneuverable and it was a nice cruiser. Making it only 2cell was a good decision. I think its not for the absolute beginner, because it doesnt handle wind very well.



The next thing I might try are flaperons.
Awesome flying! Looks amazing in the air espically on the low passes :).
 

The Hangar

Well-known member
#17
#18
Water maiden went well, however it did not come off the water very easily and it didnt have enough power.

To get more power, I installed a prop with more diameter (11x47 vs 10x45).
The motor itself is also exposed, because I removed the lower part of the spinner to get more motor cooling.

IMG_6040[1].JPG



I also might install flat-bottom floats for better water performance.