Lost in tree

Noob

What a terrible flying weekend. First my friend flew his plane into a tree. Spent 3 hours trying to get it out and finally did. Minor damage but will need some repair. So then I decide to maiden my first ever balsa built plane. First flight was great! Put a second battery in it and it found another tree. This time it is 125 + feet in the air. Any ideas on how to get it down. The tree is not on my property and so I can not cut it down.

I landed it:eek:

View attachment Plane1.bmp

View attachment Plane2.bmp

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Ha, but in all seriousness at that height you should probably wait for a windy day like BridgeInspector said, or maybe confront the property owner and see what he can do.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Ask for permission to climb the tree. Get the longest telescope fishing pole to reach out.
You are not the first or last flyer to land in a tree.
We use to have a 30 meter rod and a 12 meter ladder at the ff competitions.
The ladder is to be able to reach the branches to start climbing.

mjmccarron

A couple of months ago I hung one up about 100ft in a tree. After 3-1/2 weeks, the wind finally brought it down.
Best of luck,
Mike

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Sounds like it's time for the "quad copter winch a plane from a tree" challenge.:rolleyes:

Noob

Well after 2 days of high winds here in southern Michigan the plane is still in the tree. The winds were so strong we had several large trees down across the roads over the weekend. I am starting to think the tree is never going to release the plane after those winds. So, after work today I am going to the tree with my 12 gauge shot gun to try to shoot through the branch that holds my plane.

Wish me luck!

LocalHero

I'm always reminded of this:

1241432-1-.jpg

I hope you get your plane back without any bullet holes. It looks like a beauty. If it were me, I would probably try to climb the tree.

Noob

so far I have tried climbing the tree, the branches got to thin to support me that high up. I also tried throwing a stick with and without a rope, throwing fishing line with a fishing pole and using a sling shot, PVC pipe to push it out, and even hooked a chain to the tree and pulled with my truck. But it is still stuck so the gun is my last resort I think if I want it back.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
so far I have tried climbing the tree, the branches got to thin to support me that high up. I also tried throwing a stick with and without a rope, throwing fishing line with a fishing pole and using a sling shot, PVC pipe to push it out, and even hooked a chain to the tree and pulled with my truck. But it is still stuck so the gun is my last resort I think if I want it back.

Tools needed:

One Axe
Long Rope
Truck
Expendable Friend or trained Monkey

Step one - Tie rope to tree and truck
Step two - Back the truck up
Step three - Shout "NOW" to expendable friend or trained monkey

Result - Plane flies out of tree like it's shot from a catapult.

What could go wrong?

LocalHero

Step one - Tie rope to tree and truck
Step two - Back the truck up
Step three - Shout "NOW" to expendable friend or trained monkey

Result - Plane flies out of tree like it's shot from a catapult.

What could go wrong?

It's either that, or wait until they invent affordable personal rocket boots.

OttoPilot

I keep a 100ft length of 550 cord (paracord) and 4oz lead sinkers in my RC toolbox.

Its worked for me the couple of times my foamies have have been tree'd.

Chuck the sinker/cord up until you get it over the branch the planes is touching...grab both ends in gloved hands and jump up and down until the plane drops or lands on another branch (the 550 cord will easily support by 200 pound frame).

Doesn't work too well for balsa models...they tend to crumple and wrap around branches.

Side note: I use OD green paracord. The sinker has gotten wrapped around a branch and stuck in the past and I've had to cut the cord at the lowest branches. The dark colored cord is less obvious hanging from the tree.

Last edited:

wyatt9455

Quad Rig

Well I see that you have retrieved your plane, but I still want to put this idea out. As many people have discovered, quadcopters are fantastic utility rc vehicles. All you need to do is get foamboard, a tall dowel rod, and zip ties. Poke the zipties up through the foamboard, stretch it out, then push it back down creating a + shape in the middle. Stretch the zipties under the quad and tighten them. Finally, glue the dowel rod to a corner of the foam. Fly up the copter, push the plane out with the dowel, then catch it on the foam and bring it down.

I wonder what else we could do with this flying platform...