Mighty mini electronics

Wingeddrac0

Hello all,

I've only recently ccme back to rc flying and I'm having a lovely time scrap building the mini scout and mini mustang. However I'm having trouble picking the right electronics for the planes. My plan is to power both aircraft with the same mini power pod. I dont have acces to dtfb or adams so im stuck with westfoam which is a tad heavier. Therefor I'd like to pick out a motor thats close to the F pack motor, but I'm lost in all the different types of motors.
I've done a bit of research and the initial numbers on a motor describe the diameter and height(coils) of the motor, those have big influences in performance.
kv is rotatins per volt (sorta) and bigger kv's means smaller props which will swing faster and have more trust.
I'm quite happy with HK so if possible i'd like to order from them.

So my question is as follows, which motor is close to the F pack motor?
I picked a few choices that I felt were similar but I'd like someone to shed some light on them and explain why it'd be a good or a bad pick.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/m2205l-brushless-motor-for-rc-model-aircraft-ccw.html?wrh_pdp=1

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/qav-rt2204-2300kv-quad-racing-motor-ccw.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/brushless-motor-c2206-2300kv-ccw.html

Also, servo control rods, which diameter is mostly used for 5g/9g servo's? I've heard Josh talk about 1mm rods in one of his build videos, is that a standard diameter for rods?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Just realized there is a dedicated E motor categorie, apologies.

Last edited:

Mode 1

Good evening, All.

After really enjoying the assembly process of the mini scout, the fun quickly turned into frustration tonight installing the electronics. Some of this was my own doing, but that's a story for another day. Anyway. I got the servo's in but where and how do you put the RX / route the dual antennas? My RX is the Flysky DR4II. (dual antenna, probably 6 inch leaders) In the video Josh appears to put the ESC in the power pod and the RX behind the power pod in the fuse. I was told recently that RX should be away from all other electronics whenever possible and have the antennas at 90 degrees from one another.

As always, any feedback would be appreciated.

~ Dave

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I normally try to mount the Rx on top of the wing just behind the LE where it joins inside the fuselage, or as far forward as the Servos will allow.

When using the Flysky Rxs with the 2 long leads I like or prefer to fit them through a hole in the Fuselage I make on the wing underside through the fuselage on each side. Then I feed the antenna leads through the holes, (one on each side), and tape them in position so that each one is at a 45 degree angle to the fuselage, (the tips towards the wing TE.).

This means that both antennae are at 90 degrees to each other and clear of all internal electrical cables and currents. There is a downside though. In a very bad crash if your antennae are to well adhered you could rip a cable out of the Rx. My second preference is to make the 2 holes through the fuselage above the wing and tape them both at a 45 degree angle, (one sloping forwards and one rearwards).

Have fun!

Mode 1

I normally try to mount the Rx on top of the wing just behind the LE where it joins inside the fuselage, or as far forward as the Servos will allow.

When using the Flysky Rxs with the 2 long leads I like or prefer to fit them through a hole in the Fuselage I make on the wing underside through the fuselage on each side. Then I feed the antenna leads through the holes, (one on each side), and tape them in position so that each one is at a 45 degree angle to the fuselage, (the tips towards the wing TE.).

This means that both antennae are at 90 degrees to each other and clear of all internal electrical cables and currents. There is a downside though. In a very bad crash if your antennae are to well adhered you could rip a cable out of the Rx. My second preference is to make the 2 holes through the fuselage above the wing and tape them both at a 45 degree angle, (one sloping forwards and one rearwards).

Have fun!

Thanks so much Hai!