Minwax Polyurethane Softening Hot Glue

cmhodgson

I just finished my FT-Spitfire this weekend and I've been planning to do a proper camo paint job with British roundels and all. Minwaxing after assembly seems to be the recommended approach, so I went ahead and covered it in minwax after I finished it. I smeared it on with a foam brush and wiped of the excess with paper towel as I went along. Being fairly cold out (5 deg C), it wasn't drying terribly fast. However, I noticed that the poly had some sort of interaction with the hot glued areas (eg. fillets around the wing and tailfeathers) where it kinda made the glue go a bit soft.

I really noticed when, after having finished and let it dry for a bit, I installed the control rods and horns, and started setting up the radio and testing things out. The rudder servo had too much throw because I installed the servos like on the FT-mustang so I had to use the outermost hole on the servos - compensated somewhat by tall control horns, but not enough. The rudder jammed against the elevator notch and was actually wiggling the entire tail assembly by about 1/2 inch either way. I fixed the throw problem by adjusting the endpoints in my radio, but the tail was obviously way too loose. The glue was still attached, it had just softened to the point of being stretchy - but it did pull itself back to the original position... I just hoped that when the poly was dry, this problem would go away. I checked the next morning and it seems to have solidified again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had noticed this problem before? It may also be related to why some people claim hot glue doesn't stick to Minwaxed foamboard, while others say it sticks fine as long as it has had lots of time to dry. I'm guessing that the solvent in the poly also acts as a solvent to the hot glue. FWIW, I've been using the hot glue sticks from Walmart (Ad-tech multi-temp 10 inch full size sticks shown here: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/10-inch-glue-sticks/6000161802262).

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I use the same glue sticks, and I have had the same thing happen when Minwaxing my planes. You're right, the Minwax does soften the hot glue; to the point where I was actually able to peel some of the glue off pretty easily. After Minwaxing, I gave it quite a bit of time to cure, so it doesn't seem to be a long-term issue; but if you are trying to complete the build quickly, I could see how this would be a problem.

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
because Polycrylic has some alcohol in it, to keep it diluted.
once evaporates, it shouldn't affect hot glue any more.

cmhodgson

That would make sense - except that I'm using the oil-based Polyurethane, not the water-based Polycrylic. The polyurethane cleans up with mineral spirits/paint thinner, I would guess it is based on some sort of organic solvent that is causing this.

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
possible,
it might contain some solvent that attacks the glue (PU, EVA, etc.) and/or weakens the bond.
cmiiw, hot melt glue contains some plastic base as well as resin to make it tacky.