Moderators need to make balsa building videos section and stickys?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
So, with the interest on the rise for balsa building and some great info being shared on this forum, maybe the moderators could make a section or make some of the instructional videos sticky so they are easier to find? I know there is a balsa section, maybe a subsection. Am I making sense? Like TexMechsRobot's video series would be nice as a sticky in the new "Balsa building instructional videos section". http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...issue-Covered-Balsa-Plane&p=355470#post355470

The problem I am finding on the internet is there is not much in the way of detailed instructional videos like the one Tex is in the process of making. There are a few short ones and lots of text info, but it is hard to find good long complete build/instructional videos. I am just learning so when I am in this stage, I am looking hard to find techniques and ideas on how to do things. I am also going to make a time lapse build/instructional video when I finish my Great Planes T-Craft.

Building Balsa can be a long process over months and years (or days in the case of some avid builders) and I find it very satisfying and relaxing to build, plus you are making works of art that fly and can last several lifetimes ( I have seen planes that old). As FT evolves and steps into balsa I am hoping that these great videos can help others get into the hobby, but they need to be easy to find.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Balsa building is definitely more of an artistic endeavor than building in FB but there are a few things to consider for many before undertaking such a project.

Many Balsa kits end up in the trash through lack of skill, time, and attention span. Designing in Balsa whilst it may seem simple can be fraught with issues of strength or weight.

Tools required for Balsa construction are a little more numerous than the simple knife and glue gun used on FB designs.

I would definitely applaud any move to include Balsa in the FT products regime. It would be fantastic to build a modern Balsa scratch build from a "Free" modern design but they are very rare nowadays.

Currently, I design and build in Balsa and FB with the occasional project where I mix the materials for the special properties that neither can achieve on their own. The idea has merit so it will be interesting where it goes.

Have fun!