• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

More tips on Prop spinners for a newbie wanting to build scale warbirds

Hi
Some of you may know I'm a newbie looking to build scale flying warbirds such as a Stuka,Spitfire,Hurricane
I particularly want to get the nose right so the cowl meets the spinner relatively smoothly and this all seems to revolve
(!) around the spinner.
Have already seen some threads saying it can be a nightmare balancing them and plastic spinners should be avoided for this reason ,so are aluminium ones best?
Any other experiences,tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Kananga

Never had to balance a modern spinner never heard of anyone having to do so. Plastic is perfectly good enough for a spinner.
Back in the day we used to make them from blocks of wood and they did benefit from being balanced but these modern ones, I've never heard of an issue.
I've seen people glue a nut in some foam and after cutting most of the scrap off simply running the engine and sanding it to shape, it's really not a problem.
People use carbon fibre ones that are often not even properly conical because heat has made them droop so they might need checking now and again.

Jumping into flying war birds on your first attempts however is going to be a steep learning curve and there is a good chance you'll loose your first spinner to the worms anyway lol.

quorneng

Not that its a spinner in the conventional sense but it is 3D printed and is fixed directly to the 'bell' of the brushless.
Spinner1.JPG
The object is to provide good a streamline, a minimal frontal area and allow cooling air through the motor.
Spinner2.JPG
The motor mount, also 3D printed, allows air through the bulkhead and into the fuselage although at only 65 w it does not need much air.
The spinner weighs 1.2 g, the motor mount 2.5!