Motor Direction

srfnmnk

One of the most annoying things for me is trying to figure out which direction motors are going to spin (especially in quad+ multirotor setups). Is there any way to tell which direction a motor is going to spin with which wires connected to the ESC without connecting it all up and powering it on? Voltmeter +/-...anything?

If not...what's the best way? Alligator clips and a servo tester?

I know they have some new motors/esc that allow you to just spin the motor in the direction you want to spin (which is AWESOME) but...don't want to go buy new motors/esc atm.

Thanks.

HarleyRev

you can use bullet connectors or simply -unsolder 2 wires and swap them around if motor is turning the wrong direction

mesolost

alligator clips, then mark your esc so you know for next time. Personally I always put the black wire (i mainly work with turnigy motors) in the center and mark each side with a sharpie so i know which is yellow and red. Once you you start doing that you'll notice a pattern. For me it's ESC label up and motor shaft down then the wires just line up on their own. If you do just directly solder them on then yeah, ^, what he said. Just swap 2 wires. (I swap the outer wires so there isn't a weird wire twist) I do highly recommend you use bullet connectors. It's so much easier to do maintenance or share/swap parts that way. ^_^