Motor, ESC setup for 1st build.

Sinkhole

Hey all. Yes I'm a noob at multi-rotors. I have been flying a Nano QX for about a year, and decided it's about time to get into something bigger that I can fly outdoors and cruise around the yard. I recently ordered a RoboCat 270, a SP Racing F3 Deluxe, Matek PDB, and a OrangeRX R620X V2 (CPPM) receiver to go with the DX5e I've been using with my Nano QX, I am planning a radio upgrade, but the DX5e should do for now.
So I have everything I need except motors, ESCs, props, GPS and FPV gear. I am having a hard time deciding what to go with for motors and ESCs. I have been looking at several setups.
The 1st I was considering is a set of DYS SE2205-2300KV motors, DYS 20A micro Opto ESCs and a set of Gemfan BN5045 props.
2nd Option Is a set of ZYW Black Widow 2204 - 2300KV motors with built in ESCs and the above mentioned props. I like the idea of built in ESCs for a cleaner build. However, I am a little unsure about the built in ESCs though, if an ESC blows can they be replaced, separately? Or do you need to replace the entire motor? I'd like to keep the Cat docile in flight while I'm getting the feel for it and am concerned that the DYS SE2205 motors might be a little too punchy. Either way, if you have an opinion on either set up or could recommend something better suited to my needs, it would be appreciated. Again I'm looking docile flight characteristics, and longer flight times.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advise or help in advance.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Per the HK link, your prop limit is 6". Longer props go with slower more efficient motors and generate longer flight times. However, it's all relative. 6" is relatively short and designed for a fast ride. You can also run 5" props and spin them faster for a quicker, more maneuverable ride. If you are looking for aerial photography you need to start at 10" props and 1000kv motors and go longer and slower.

2204s and 6" means 3S. You will have power but you won't win races. This will be stable and mellow and fun to fly. 2204 and 5" will be underpowered on 3S but will be a quick, fun racer on 4S.

ESCs and ESC technology change weekly at this point. I would want them to be separate components, but that's only my opinion.

eMAX 2205 2300km Red Bottom motors are doing well right now. You should be able to spin 6045s on 3S for a mellow ride or 5045s on 4S for a snappy, freestyle machine with 2205s 2300s. The DYS ESCs probably can also be re-flashed so you can keep up with the latest ESC firmware.

This is a racer. You may find it challenging to find room for GPS or need for GPS. I would build and fly before you add an HD camera or GPS.

One last bit of advice; buy at least 5 sets of props. :)

Sinkhole

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely going to be running a 3S setup. I probably should have mentioned that. I am not entirely sure that a 6" prop will clear the frame, as the frame has not arrived yet. Hopefully it will show up by the end of the week. I can bolt on the 2208/17 from one of my planes and measure that when it arrives. I don't plan on racing, I just wanted to get a frame I can kind of grow into and do some sporty FPV down the road. Thanks for the advise and I'll look into fitting 6" props and will check out the Emax 2205 motors.

Last edited: