naze32 give odd yaw behavior. soft yaw to the left. and stiff yaw to the right

sphinix

intermediate quad pilot
hello

Im not particularly new to building multirotors. ive built several from 250 racers to 550 hexes. and lately im getting a very strange behavior from any model thats not a basic(x layout) quadcopter. my 550hex wants to yaw to the left at center stick. and my new y6 does as well. note that the same y6 was previously a y4, and it also drifted before i upgraded it to y6.

DSCN0565.JPG
DSCN0566.JPG
note. yes im aware that the hex is missing 2 motors. i got impatient to build my y6 so i borrowed 2 motors while i wait for the other 2 to show up

most notably. the yaw to the left is very soft and yaw to right is hard and jerky. giving yaw command to left will send it spinning fast and slowly drift to a stop. and yaw to right will be sluggish and slow and stop abruptly when the stick is centered.
to top it all off. i can fly forward very stable and fast and keep it under control, no problem. but pulling back will spin left madly out of control when it obtains any kind of speed.

ive searched everywhere and cant find any sign of anyone else with this same problem. setting the yaw trim helps none. just makes it want to drift right but it still gives the same stubbornest to do strange things to the left.

all settings are a default pids, rates, i started with an update and a total reset, the set it to y6 and set up my flight modes.as well a minor changes like cpp and GPS(which is still unplugged until i get around to setting it up.)

-im using a devo f12e-pro software version
-reptile mosquito y4 frame. converted to y6 with included parts. slightly tail heavy. very slightly.
-2213-932kv motors on 4s with 8-45 HQ props
-flip32 v5+ flight control programmed in baseflight
-2200mh 4s lipo to keep weight down.
-speed controls are "ready to fly 30amp HV" with BL-heli. and i know absolutely nothing about BL-heli
-and yes ive checked that the motors are as level as there going to get.

any help would be appreciated. i can supply more info if needed.

update:switched to clean flight and the problem was severely reduced. but still drifts a bit. probably fixable with trim now.

Last edited:

NHS77

I would have suggested trying clean flight... but you did that already.

Sometime the "set yaw_deadband = X" in CLI helps with the yaw drifting. I usually put in 12-18 as a value. depends how precise your yaw sticks potentiometer is... on cheaper radios I have had to enter 24 and up to get rid of it.

End of the day I always have a tiny little yaw drift left with the Naze boards (except on my Tri) and always to the right. Not so with the CC3D - no idea why that is.

sphinix

intermediate quad pilot
I tried cleanflight on the 550 hex as well and it was absolutely cured. Flies perfectly like id expect. How ever my y6 still has trouble but its reduced. After extencive flights and testing, ive found that drift is still present and that it will not fly backwards in a strait line. It violently turns left when backing up. Flies great forward in a strait line. And still is stuborn to drift left and fights right turns.

Could it be the motors are angled. I usee dads right angle tool to try and level my motors to the ground. Is there a better way to do that. This is my first time with carbon fiber rods