Need a suggestion for an indoor 3D plane

xray328

I went to my first ever indoor flying event in s school gym and everyone was flying epp 3D foamies. Place was too small for even the FT Flyer. I tried the mini speedster but it's having "issues". Anyway I'm looking for a decent 3D foamie that can handle a little abuse. Maybe it's from being in flite test, but I just can stand the idea of paying $79 for some if these I'm seeing online. Please tell me there's s cheaper option. If like to use the emax motor from the mini series of that's possible.

Thanks!

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
The ft flyer or any of the ft minis should work great indoor.. now being in a very small space, youll want to keep them light as posable. You might even want to look into making a set of air brakes for your model to help slow them down.. awhile back i made a profile edge 540 from 3Dfoamy.com. i reduced the plans size down to 28in ws and used a similar power setup as the ft minis. I made airbrakes to attach to the ailerons to slow it down to a walking pace of i wanted.. (i was even able to fly it inside of my garage. And it was all made out of dtfb.. so look into making a light airframe and posably a set of airbrakes

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You should check out some of this guys scratch builds. They are huge but light and very slow, and he does fly them indoors.

12 foot wing

6 foot wing

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've seen a lot of people flying the E-Flite UMX AS3Xtra at the indoor site that I go to as well.

I don't own one, just seen many of them flying. If I were to buy an indoor 3D plane, that's be the one I'd start with.

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Just picked up one of these. I got it on sale, for $30 with the motor, but the current price is $40. Either way, it's a great deal!

And, more importantly, it flies great. It's not a tiny plane, but I can easily fly it in half of a basketball court, and with cheap 2s 500mAh 20C batteries flight time is about 8 minutes (hovering and acro).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...EPP_High_Performance_3D_Airplane_w_Motor.html
TristaniaEPP.jpg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I know it's not 3D as such, but I'm sure this plane could handle it well if you can figure out which one it is...

It's a video I had on my computer a couple of years now, and I can't even find the original online, and I have no idea who it is, but I really like it so I uploaded it to my Youtube account to share...

finnen

I have a Twisted Hobbies Sbach 342 (31 inch span). It wasn't too expensive, I would guess that it equates to about $40 dollars for the kit. The twisted hobbies planes are great. I have flown a lot with a scratch built depron plane, but I'm not sure it would be a lot cheaper. You would need to buy some 3mm depron, carbon etc. The twisted planes are a joy to build, and flies great. EPP planes are a lot sturdier compared to depron.

offaxis

Hello All,

I was looking for some help with the power setup for a 3D foamy kit that I picked up this weekend at a swap meet.

Kit Specs:
The Extra 300-
35 inch span and 9 ounce weight equal 3D performance.
Complete kit includes:

All CNC cut EPS foam for kit
Carbon fiber pushrods
Ply control horns and motor plate
Photo illustrated building and flying manual

Specs:

Wingspan- 36 inches
Length- 35 inches
Wing area- 294 sq/in
Flying weight- 9 ounces
Wing loading- 4.5 oz/ft2
Best maneuver- Knife Edge Loops

riotplanes.com

What I have laying around:
SS2204-2300kv motor
Turnigy 2730-1700kv
3s 500mah Turnigy battery
3s 800 mah turnigy battery
towerpro 9g servos.

Thoughts on a decent setup for learning 3D?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hello All,

I was looking for some help with the power setup for a 3D foamy kit that I picked up this weekend at a swap meet.

Kit Specs:
The Extra 300-
35 inch span and 9 ounce weight equal 3D performance.
Complete kit includes:

All CNC cut EPS foam for kit
Carbon fiber pushrods
Ply control horns and motor plate
Photo illustrated building and flying manual

Specs:

Wingspan- 36 inches
Length- 35 inches
Wing area- 294 sq/in
Flying weight- 9 ounces
Wing loading- 4.5 oz/ft2
Best maneuver- Knife Edge Loops

riotplanes.com

What I have laying around:
SS2204-2300kv motor
Turnigy 2730-1700kv
3s 500mah Turnigy battery
3s 800 mah turnigy battery
towerpro 9g servos.

Thoughts on a decent setup for learning 3D?

The key to the profile 3D planes is LIGHT WEIGHT.

As light as you can get it.

The 2730 motor would be fine, and likely cheaper. I'd lean you toward one of the slower versions -- 1500 or 1300kv, since the longer , slower prop will be better for 3D where you'd prefer the low-end power.

2S.

Not 3S. you'll get PLENTY of thrust out of the lighter 2S 500mah pack (800 is still fine), but the added weight of the extra cell isn't worth the extra-extra power you don't need.

If you can swing it, get 5g servos for the tail feathers. If the ailerons are linked (they usually are), I'd spring for a 9g for them.

offaxis

I will also note that I will probably be flying it outside when it calm out because I don't have much access to large indoor facility.

Is 3s better for the outdoor 3D foamyies?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I don't have that plane, but I regularly fly my EPP profile SBACH outdoors -- windy or not -- and she has plenty of power to climb, hover or pull through moderate wind on a 2730 1300kv motor on 2S. (I don't have a large indoor area either)

With the lighter weight she has a wider speed envelope and is far more maneuverable. I've got 2s500's, 2s800's and a single 2s1300, and she can fly with any of them, but she loves the 500's, tolerates the 800's and hates the 1300. At 5-7 minutes of flight time, the 500's are plenty. Increasing the motor power by bumping up the voltage to make up for the extra weight is a poor trade -- I'm gaining power I simply don't need for a higher wing loading that no matter the power I can generate, won't make her fly as nimble or as happy.

Naturally, YMMV.

finnen

Honestly that doesn't look like a good choice for an indoor beginner. It is very heavy compared to a profile foamie (more than double the weight of most), and made of depron. From that I guess it's fast and brittle. The walls come up faster than you think even with a slow plane! Try to find an epp profile foamie, and build it as light as possible (20g motor, 2s400mAh battery, 5g servos).