Need help picking a swap able.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
There should be two dots on the bottom of the wing, alligned with each other front to back. you put a finger on each dot and then it should balance on just the two fingers I'd expect the dots to be around 4-6" apart from each other, and IIRC they're 3-4" back from the leading edge (center cut line on the plans).

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah... I would rethink the mounting inside the pod. I initially did that, and it's a PITA. (I will let you guess what that acronym stands for. :) )

Having to completely remove the pod to replace the battery gets old really really fast.

It gets old fast . . . but scrubbing your battery on the ground on landing does too . . .

If you go this route . . . LANDING GEAR!

I got the wing and tail to build next I will keep you all posted. I did learn that I am horrible at cutting straight lines and tracing.

Or you could just make a battery cover
Battery Cover.jpg
I keep it on with a rubber band

Well got it all built but the thing will not fly. It does not take off from the ground nor a hand launch. Trying from a hand launch it just goes to the ground even with throttle at full. It seems very unresponsive to any inputs I give it and well just does not fly honestly. I followed the build to the "T" and well I dont know what to do.

BankNYank!

Mentor
Well got it all built but the thing will not fly. It does not take off from the ground nor a hand launch. Trying from a hand launch it just goes to the ground even with throttle at full. It seems very unresponsive to any inputs I give it and well just does not fly honestly. I followed the build to the "T" and well I dont know what to do.

Sounds to me like it's way to nose heavy. When I first built mine I was using a Suppo 2208/14 and a 3s 2200 battery inside the power pod and the only way I could keep it in the air was at full throttle. As soon as I pulled the throttle back a little it would nose to the ground even with full back on the elevator. I also had limited control just like your saying.

I suggest moving your cg further back and trying it again.

ADDED: Just an afterthought. You may also need to dial in some positive elevator on your linkage if you have a good cg and the plane is still falling rather than flying.

Last edited:
I will try that again, the power pod and airframe are in need of being rebuilt now. I also have the prop on the correct way. Also I got some 7x5 and 7x3 props the other day and well didnt work well after that.

BankNYank!

Mentor
I will try that again, the power pod and airframe are in need of being rebuilt now. I also have the prop on the correct way. Also I got some 7x5 and 7x3 props the other day and well didnt work well after that.

I'm not sure what motor your using so can't comment on the props. On my 2208/14's (1450kv) I use 7x5's and they seem pretty happy spinning them.

I don't think this is a motor or prop issue. I really think it's cg.

BankNYank!

Mentor
With that motor I would suggest a 9 or 10 inch prop. Probably the biggest/pitch I would go is like a 10x8 but that lower kv motor is going to need a bigger prop than a 7x5 to really perform.

Having said that I still believe your main issue is cg. I've been thinking about it and I would suggest moving your cg back about half an inch and test from there. If it's still acting like a lawn dart then move it back some more.

If your wanting the battery to be inside the power pod your probably going to need to drop down to like a 3s 1000 to get everything to balance out right.

If your worried about testing your cg and messing up your new build I suggest setting the plane up with the battery in, but unplugged!, and prop off but otherwise ready to fly and try tossing it paper airplane style to a friend. You may need to give it a decent throw but if it fly's that's a good indication it'll stay in the air when you flow the electrons. Before you do this test you'll need to make sure your prop is off and transmitter on, then plug the battery in so the control surfaces all go to their predefined zero point then unplug the battery. Try not to bump the control surfaces before throwing and reset them again between throws. This process can be a little time consuming but it will save you some time rebuilding down the road.

Well the bloody wonder is a bust for me. So I built a delta and that actually flew with a 2 c 700 mah battery. CG was a pain to get right and the wind made it into a lawn dart. I may just stick with my tricopter for now and dabble with planes later. I am a huge fan of deltas thou. I may look into a blunt nose versa wing. I seen a few videos of the k f airfoil deltas doing some good stuff.

So rebuilt the delta from the ground up and well got some GREAT flight on it i am sold! I am going to learn bank and yank with that and move on to the blunt nose versa!

BankNYank!

Mentor
I love planes that bank n yank, in case you couldn't tell, and I think delta wings are the best! I have built 5 FT Versa wings so far and I fly them till they can't fly anymore. They are nice and durable and can take a rough landing, even the suddenly rapid and unexpected landings that happen on occasion. They just keep on flying.

You mentioned building a blunt nose Versa. Any specific reason why you chose the blunt nose over the standard Versa? I'm only asking because the blunt nose is a little less aerobatic and a little more FPV if you get my meaning. I'm not sure what style flying you want to do but if you want something quick and agile go with the regular Versa. Take a look at some quick clips of a couple of my Versa's in action on my youtube channel here if you wanna see what they can do in the hands of a novice. Don't get me wrong, the blunt nose is great, I love mine! When I finally get serious about getting into FPV that will be my go to plane. It's just that it's more of a work horse than a dirt bike. Here is the thread for my dual pusher blunt nose versa. And in finding that thread again I realized I never posted video of it in flight. I'll see if I can find the videos I have and post them to my youtube channel just in case you wanna see how they fly.

One last parting thought: The wing is designed to draw the plane up. And one thing that I've learned from this is if you bank, the plane is going to turn even without pulling back on the stick. The wing doesn't know the planes not upright and its going to keep providing lift, which in this orientation is going to translate into a nice lazy turn. These nice lazy turns come in handy when you are just learning to fly and need a minute to collect yourself after recovering your plane from a particularly hairy situation.

I do a lot of fpv with my tricopter and would like to maybe do some with a plane. I am looking into the kf airfoil design since we'll my skills at making those bends is really really lacking.