Mini H-Quad Build.

So I am ironing out the kinks in my Tricopter and thinking of building a mini H-Quad.

Suppo A1504 2900kv (13g) Brushless Motor (Park 180 equiv.)
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/suppo-motors/brushless-motor-180-13g-2900kv-suppo-bl-1504

iPeaka iQ 10A Brushless Multicopter ESC w/ SimonK Firmware
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/ipea...k/ipeaka-10a-brushless-multicopter-esc-simonk

(5x3) 2 or 3 blades prop.

3S 1000-1500mah batteries since well this is going to be a small beater quad for maybe FPV we will see.

I am torn on the FC honestly, I use the KK2.1.5 HC and well was thinking of tinkering with a multiwii for this build. But there are alot of multiwii boards on the market and well I dont know one from the other and well i am sure you all know a good one already :D.

It is going to be on a scratch built frame kinda based off the black out quad layout but we will see.

Mustang7302

I would recommend the DYS BE1806 2300KV motors and EMAX 12A ESCs for a mini build. Much more power to be had with these motors, its a cheaper setup by a few bucks, and MultiRotorMinis has a July 4th promotion running right now to sweeten the deal (Coupon code JULY4OFF15).

From there I would recommend the Acro Naze32 over anything else. It is a 32bit port of the MultiWii code and then further enhanced. It is just a phenominal flier, is cheaper than a KK2, and has an easy learning curve to learn setup for with the Baseflight GUI. MultiRotorSuperStore is expected to get another batch this Thursday; keep you eyes peeled every couple of hours throughout the day and nab one or two.

Get a 35C 1000mAh to 1500mah 3S battery like you were planning before and it will help compliment the light weight.

Be warned though; once you go mini, you never go back. I've been through three or four mini builds now, CranialRectosis is been through six or so, FGA has been through two or three, and the list continues.

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yes the mini quads are addictive alright :)
What ever motor you choose going with around 2300kv on 3s will match 5-6" props well.
1000-1300mah batteries are good for a light weight setup. 1500 is good for the longer flights but adds some weight on the lightweight setups. If you go with a powerful setup you can get away with 1800mah packs.

I can second the Naze choice as that's what I fly. Brilliant FC that is pretty easy to setup and flies like nothing else. If you're still keen to go MultiWii then check out the flip 1.5 or Flip Pro.

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
No you don't need that connector. It's easy enough to make your own connectors but that is premade if you don't want to make it yourself.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
MW boards will fly VERY similarly to Naze - but setup is more involved. And due to the wide selection of MW based boards getting help can be tricky due to the wide variety.

The one you linked is particularly odd as it uses the Atmega 32U which isn't as popular. Personally I'm not a fan of the 32u based boards. The built in USB on that chip has been troublesome for some people since the arduino leonardo first came out, and it really doesn't have any big benefits over the '328 chips which I recommend avoiding. The 2560 based MW boards are my favorite.

However - that said...there's something to be said about choosing the right tool for the job.

I like the 2560 boards because they give a lot of options. In some ways they give more options than the Naze since they have more serial ports and more memory. If you're looking to do autonomous flight/GPS/control other things on the vehicle - then the 2560 is the way to go for sure.

If you just want to build a small light acro quad and aren't interested in baro/mag/gps and all that then the '328 boards really aren't that bad and when setup correctly will still fly about the same as a Naze at a fraction of the cost.

The big "downside" to MW is you will need to setup arudino and be able to tweak config files and flash the board to get it going (mainly due to MW's insistence on continuing to support the '328 based boards, instead of taking the route baseflight/naze took and breaking backwards compatibility to greatly increase ease of use.)

If you're ok with modifying software and not afraid of flashing things - then I say go right ahead and get a cheap MW board. I'd just strongly suggest something with a '328 or 2560 chip instead of a 32u option.

I found a Acro Naze 32 - Flight Controller at ready made RC and I am going to have to beef up my soldering skills to get it all put together!

I think i will need to get a better soldering iron to get those connectors on. Mine is a cheapo and well not that great :(.

I build a "frame" today it is really really ruff but I think it will get the job done. I don't think i am going to do FPV with it till i get used to a quad vs a flying a tricopter.

So yah, hopefully I will be getting this thing in the air in a few weeks.

MT Alex

I think i will need to get a better soldering iron to get those connectors on. Mine is a cheapo and well not that great :(.

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately for my wallet, I just broke down and ordered a new Hakko soldering station this afternoon. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime, it'll be here tomorrow.