New (technical) guy needs advice on buying an aircraft.

WA4OSH

I've outgrown a cheap sub 249g "throw-away" learner drone. I'm interested in buying or building my next aircraft. I'm an engineer and Ham Radio operator, fully capable of ordering parts, following directions, soldering. etc. I would like to be able to lift a 1-2kg payload (max) (for carrying my radio equipment) and would like some decent flight time (30min-1hr)?. I'm also currently taking a training course for my Part107 license so that I can fly commercially. I have ambitions of building a VTOL in the future, but do want to learn how to fly fixed-wing aircraft or perfect my drone flying skills. Any recommendations?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
Flying a plane is completely different from flying a quad. If you have never flown a rc plane you need to start with a trainer. If you want to build, the tiny trainer, simple cub, ft explorer, scorch and bushwhacker are just a few of the FT planes that make great trainers. If you prefer to buy a plane ready to fly, the carbon cub, apprentice and the aero scout all from Horizon Hobby are great choices.

Here is some articles that may be of interest.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/best-first-airplanes
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/beginner-series-choosing-a-plane

My #1 advice, if you have a rc club in the area, join it. They will be happy to teach you to fly a plane.

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I've outgrown a cheap sub 249g "throw-away" learner drone. I'm interested in buying or building my next aircraft. I'm an engineer and Ham Radio operator, fully capable of ordering parts, following directions, soldering. etc. I would like to be able to lift a 1-2kg payload (max) (for carrying my radio equipment) and would like some decent flight time (30min-1hr)?. I'm also currently taking a training course for my Part107 license so that I can fly commercially. I have ambitions of building a VTOL in the future, but do want to learn how to fly fixed-wing aircraft or perfect my drone flying skills. Any recommendations?
maybe try the eflite convergence

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums.
Flying a plane is completely different from flying a quad. If you have never flown a rc plane you need to start with a trainer. If you want to build, the tiny trainer, simple cub, ft explorer, scorch and bushwhacker are just a few of the FT planes that make great trainers. If you prefer to buy a plane ready to fly, the carbon cub, apprentice and the aero scout all from Horizon Hobby are great choices.

My #1 advice, if you have a rc club in the area, join it. They will be happy to teach you to fly a plane.
i would reccomend the ft simple scout

mastermalpass

Elite member
i would reccomend the ft simple scout

Hey you're back, it's good to see you again!

I can kinda second the scout in vouching for the Mini Scout. I've built two - it's a forgiving and robust design. Others also recommend the Tiny Trainer. Not made one myself, but it's very popular and I've seen a few first-timers break into the hobby with it on this forum, having a great time as they do.

A 2Kg lifting model is ambitious. Planes for those weights will need more complex building methods than the lighter ones. Plus the lighter ones can take a hit and you'll be hitting them a lot when you're new. Introduce yourself with a cheaper, lighter model and you'll be having all sorts of ideas for how you'll want your heavy lifter to be! 😁

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
Are you asking for a good trainer that you can convert in to an FPV plane that can carry a payload?

Are you looking to build one out of foam board or do you want a molded/assembled airframe?

Will you be using a flight controller or basic RC function?

You asked a lot of open ended questions.

Battery800

Elite member

I can kinda second the scout in vouching for the Mini Scout. I've built two - it's a forgiving and robust design. Others also recommend the Tiny Trainer. Not made one myself, but it's very popular and I've seen a few first-timers break into the hobby with it on this forum, having a great time as they do.

A 2Kg lifting model is ambitious. Planes for those weights will need more complex building methods than the lighter ones. Plus the lighter ones can take a hit and you'll be hitting them a lot when you're new. Introduce yourself with a cheaper, lighter model and you'll be having all sorts of ideas for how you'll want your heavy lifter to be! 😁
I vouch for the scout. One of mine survived 6 combats including 2 direct hits and a nosedive

Last edited:

MaxTheFliteFreak

I would reccomend the ft Explorer as it is a great trainer, can do FPV, and I believe may be able to carry weight. For the lomg flight time, go with lithium-ion batteries as they have a sloeer discharge and can go down to a lower voltage, perfect for VTOLs. Goodluck, and happy flying!

WA4OSH

Welcome to the forums.

I think this is good advice. I need to progress my skills to flying both Quadcopter and Fixed-wing.

WA4OSH

Yes, 2Kg is quite a load. I think you are right, I need to learn how to fly a trainer first. F=ma

WA4OSH

Welcome to the forums.

There is a nearby R/C club and field. I will contact them. Thank you for your advice.

Piotrsko

Master member
Bunch of sims available on your choice of device, but I recommend something that has a extrenal control box, like maybe a tote-able. Also my typical initial choice is to get a cheapo toy car to learn "backwards" steering when the device is coming towards you unless you get good at looking over your shoulder. Had a friend that rotated his transmitter, but that when he dropped it.

As for FTC: their series of beginners is excellent with the fixed surfaces micro planes being SOMEWHAT bullet proof.

WA4OSH

Are you asking for a good trainer that you can convert in to an FPV plane that can carry a payload?

Are you looking to build one out of foam board or do you want a molded/assembled airframe?

Will you be using a flight controller or basic RC function?

You asked a lot of open ended questions.

Yes, you are right. I asked loads of open-ended questions so that I can receive good conversation and advice from more experienced flyers. I stated my end goals without stating the obvious. It's the equivalent of saying I want to learn how to drive a semi without knowing how to drive a car. I need to take baby steps to get there.

So here's how my plan is evolving. Continue to get better at flying the drone and learn how to fly with a light and sturdy basic RC function fixed-wing trainer. Then eventually build a fixed-wing plane that has longer flight time with FPV capabilities. The last step would be to modify that plane into a 4+1 VTOL.

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
Flying multi-rotors does not translate very well in to flying fixed wing for most people. Just something to keep in mind.

The AeroScout 2 RTF is a great trainer. AS3X and SAFE work fantastic. It can also be modified in to a decent medium range FPV aircraft (check out Bonafidepirate on YouTube).

I would start there and see how your vision changes or stays the same.