New to FT comments .. FT Wing Spear Foam Board building questions.

brownretread

Hello everyone.

I am new to the FT community. I have already competed and flown a Simple Cub and Explorer. Building the Cub was a good experience, since I've never built a foam aircraft been ... learned some new things. I'm going to make some mods on the Cub for better flying .. let you know how works out (the Cub's roll is rather sensitive, even after 'd' reduction, and expo configuration changes). The Explorer is a great airplane ... I see why FT uses the platform for experimentation. Only thing to note is FT needs to clarify prop sizes (since Power Pack 'C' prop sent was 10 in, but, needs a 9 inch prop .. easy to fix).

I am a 'retread' from the past; ie, it's been many years since I've flown, so coming back into the RC Airplane hobby has been eye-open (so, many changes) with regard to the FliteTest environment ... especially the idea where one can build something relatively fast and cheap, fix, and fly again. Then, when the plane is 'totaled', then take the electric parts and build a new one. Great idea.

Anyway, here's my first question: I will be ordering the 1041 mm Spear Wing "Maker Foam" .. part number FLT-1043 or FLT-1128. The build video was very informative on how to build the Wing Spear. However, was not clear on how to build the power pod. Looks like they took a regular Power Pod for 'C' pack and cut it shorter. Is this how it was done? Or, not sure if this this specific power pod will be provided with the kit. Or, do we build it from scratch?

Thank you for any comments.

Older flying 'Retread' from the past.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I can’t say fro sure, I’ve not yet built the Spear. Every FT Kit I have built has came with a power pod. Power pods are easy to build, just glue and fold one side at a time.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Hello everyone.

I am new to the FT community. I have already competed and flown a Simple Cub and Explorer. Building the Cub was a good experience, since I've never built a foam aircraft been ... learned some new things. I'm going to make some mods on the Cub for better flying .. let you know how works out (the Cub's roll is rather sensitive, even after 'd' reduction, and expo configuration changes). The Explorer is a great airplane ... I see why FT uses the platform for experimentation. Only thing to note is FT needs to clarify prop sizes (since Power Pack 'C' prop sent was 10 in, but, needs a 9 inch prop .. easy to fix).

I am a 'retread' from the past; ie, it's been many years since I've flown, so coming back into the RC Airplane hobby has been eye-open (so, many changes) with regard to the FliteTest environment ... especially the idea where one can build something relatively fast and cheap, fix, and fly again. Then, when the plane is 'totaled', then take the electric parts and build a new one. Great idea.

Anyway, here's my first question: I will be ordering the 1041 mm Spear Wing "Maker Foam" .. part number FLT-1043 or FLT-1128. The build video was very informative on how to build the Wing Spear. However, was not clear on how to build the power pod. Looks like they took a regular Power Pod for 'C' pack and cut it shorter. Is this how it was done? Or, not sure if this this specific power pod will be provided with the kit. Or, do we build it from scratch?

As per my previous post. Its in the plans, so I would expect it to be in the kit (y);)

brownretread

All,

I thank everyone for your quick replies. And, I should like deeper in the FliteTest website for copies of the plans. I am humbled. ;0)

Regards.
Flying Retread

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hello everyone.

Welcome to this awesome community and hobby! Speed build kits will come with everything you need to build the plane, including the correct size power pod. There shouldn’t be any trimming necessary.