New user in electric

lechos

Good morning all,
Let me introduce myself, I'm an oldtimer, but I've been more of the glow type (.049, .09 cc) for 45 years. A friend of mine recently passed away and he left some of his (electrical) equipment to me.
I would like to convert to electricity, but for me it's Chinese, I don't understand a lot.
Here is what I received from my boyfriend:
1x A2212 2200 Kv motor (342 W)
1X motor A2212 / 10T 1400 Kv
1x motor A2212 / 13T 1000 Kv
1X 2204/14 1400 Kv motor
1X ESC 30A
1X ESC 40A
1X HB6AC charger
1X 3S 2200mAh battery (50C)
1X 3S 500mAh battery
But, unfortunately no plane or plan to guide me.
On the forum, I am trying to see what kit I could buy but still here I am in nothing.
I would like you to give me hints, depending on what I have received, so that I can buy and build kits.
Thank you for your attention and I can't wait to do RC in electricity.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Lets start with basics eh.
The Kv of a motor isn't kilo volts for a start, it refers to the constant velocity of a motor. It is measured by the number of revolutions per minute (rpm) that a motor turns when 1V (one volt) is applied with no load attached to the motor.
Watts does mean watts as in power.
The numbers preceeding the Kv refer to the dimentions of the motor.

The ESC is a piece of circuitry that allows you to control the speed of the motor (Electronic Speed Controller). Depending what load the motor is pulling will determine the maximum amps is uses, therefore you select an ESC accordingly.
Example: If a motor using a 3s 2200mAh Lipo battery with a prop size of 10x4.5 has a maximum amp peak of 26 amps, you would use a 30 amp ESC. This is so you dont overload the ESC causing overheating and failure.
The ESC has 3 wires which connect directly to your motor, the order will impact the rotational direction (swapping any 2 of them will reverse the direction). It also has a 3 wire lead with a JR/Futaba connector for connection to a receiver, the white (or Yellow or Orange) is the signal connection. The Black (or Brown), is the negative. The Red is positive ie the power lead (See BEC below).
The ESC is connected to a power source ie Lipo battery, which supplies power to the motor and a BEC circuit.
The BEC (Battery Eleimination Circuit) which is usually built into the ESC circuit, feeds the receiver and servos.

Thats basically how it all fits together, unfortunately its not that simple.
The motor needs to be matched to the plane, you then need to select a battery depending on the size of plane and requirements of the motor.
You also need to factor in the propellor, which is also dependant on the plane, motor and battery. Once you have the correct arrangement you then select the correct ESC depending on the current being drawn by your motor, with the particular battery and prop selection.

Starting from scratch isn't easy its a steep learning curve. Usually you get a plane and it will specify which motor, prop, battery and ESC combination to use as with the Flite test plane for example.
If you want to convert an IC plane it takes a lot more thought, you need the weight of plane wing loading etc to determine which motor is suitable. Then it depends what your doing with the plane too ie glider, trainer, sport, aerobatic or 3D these impact the Kv of the motor you select. Also each motor usually specifies a suitable prop you can use with it depending which battery your using. Then you also need to know which batteries can be used with your motor too, some will work with 2s and 3s. While others will work with 3s and 4s batteries.

Hope its not put you off, I suggest you watch the Flite test training modules particularly the one covering motors, ESC etc. It might be less daunting than my explanation.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1613612910866.png

Is this the 2204/14 1400 Kv motor you have ?
If so I might have a good project for you, the Flite Test F22.
You can use the 30 amp ESC with it and a 7X5 prop.
The battery you may need to buy as it would be better with a 3s 1300mAh or 1500mAh. But for setting it up and getting everything working you can use your 3s 2200mAh to begin with.
The F22 is a simple bank and yank elevon design, very easy to fly. Just launching it is a bit tricky, discus style works best holding the wing tip as its a slot and prop (don't want sliced fingers).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was trying earlier to find the plan download for the FT22 raptor full size version but couldn't find one. Its not on Dans list only the mighty mini version and I tried to download the plan at the end of the build video again it wouldn't let me weird. Has the FT 22 also been taken off the list of free plans, next thing FT will be charging us for them.
Fortunately I still have my hard copy printed out at home in my plans archive.

lechos

View attachment 192833
Is this the 2204/14 1400 Kv motor you have ?
If so I might have a good project for you, the Flite Test F22.
You can use the 30 amp ESC with it and a 7X5 prop.
The battery you may need to buy as it would be better with a 3s 1300mAh or 1500mAh. But for setting it up and getting everything working you can use your 3s 2200mAh to begin with.
The F22 is a simple bank and yank elevon design, very easy to fly. Just launching it is a bit tricky, discus style works best holding the wing tip as its a slot and prop (don't want sliced fingers).

Hello,
thank you very much for this info.
This will be my first model that I will do.
I assume that all of the FT Mini Series models will do their job.
Do you have any other suggestions for 2200 Kv A2212 / 6T motors?
Thanks in advance.

lechos

I was trying earlier to find the plan download for the FT22 raptor full size version but couldn't find one. Its not on Dans list only the mighty mini version and I tried to download the plan at the end of the build video again it wouldn't let me weird. Has the FT 22 also been taken off the list of free plans, next thing FT will be charging us for them.
Fortunately I still have my hard copy printed out at home in my plans archive.
IanT, for the full size plan, go at the end of the article and you will find the download link, good luck (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-22-raptor-build)