picked this up at an auction the other day... trying to decide what to do with it

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
So I've been having a blast with the DTFB planes and electric is great. That said, the other day I was searching through a local auction listing and saw a listing for a "large model plane" I threw a bid on it not expecting to get it, well the next day i got an email and all said I picked up this old (i think its old) balsa plane for $20. Its pretty big. The wing measures in at 76" tip to tip and is 11" wide. It appears as to have been a nitro plane but it seems really big. I bought it thinking it could be fun to throw a small gas engine on it. Is it capable of such an engine? I've built a few gas trimmer engine 20-30CC RC airboats and modded the engines a bit to be RC friend with great success and wondered if a smaller one would work for this plane. Thoughts? If all else It will be wall hanger in the basement or hang in the barn. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it. Also, does anyone recognize the model? looks like it was a kit as there are printed notes on the balsa inside the fuselage.

Thanks!

Justin

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
right now its neatly stashed up in the floor joists in the basement so the wife wont find it... :p she can tolerate my excessive number of small foam planes but if she found this... hmm In time. I really want to put the gas engine on it but I don't know enough about wing loading and what not. If my math is correct, AUW could be 9lbs but I'm not sure I did the math right...

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
once again, I could be way off. Just hoping there is someone on this forum with enough info on these older large model planes.

Justin

It really looks like a SIG Kadet, but the wingspan is too big... It's almost Kadet Sr. size, and that may be what it is. The new Seniors are a stick framed fuselage, and I don't know if the old ones were sheeted sides or stick frame... The outline is definitely SIG, or at the very least Claude McCullough. I am going to say it's a Kadet Sr, and an older one built from a kit, the wing chord is all that has me doubting... I would think an 11" chord would be more in the Kadet range. Either way, it would have had a plastic wind screen on the front. I am assuming it's a flat bottom airfoil, based on the top of the fuselage. Do a search for Sig Kadet and/or Kadet Sr. Check the fuselage length, the Sr should be 62" from the rear of the horizontal to the prop hub on the motor. I would think you could put a 25cc on the nose, but you might have to creative about the rest of the gear to get the CG in the right range. People fly the Kadet Sr with .91 four stroke glow all the time, so aside from weight, 25cc is at least in the ballpark. A Sr will also fly with a .40 on the nose, so it would REALLY scream with a 25cc gasser on the front.

EDIT: 76" isn't that big, and big planes definitely fly better! My Sr. Telemaster is 96", and it's an awesome plane. I think planes in the 6-8' wingspan range are just right!!

Last edited: