Prop Saver money saving hint!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When I restarted the hobby a number of years ago now I made a series of purchases of motors with prop savers and separate prop saver attachments to suit a variety of motor shafts. They worked well and I still have a number in use BUT getting the correct "O" rings in sufficient quantity can be difficult and rather expensive. What use is it saving the prop if the "O" ring is nowhere to be found?

Well on a shopping trip, (well more of a mindless meander actually, it's a male thing!), I found myself in a disposal store in their party supplies section. Then it happened!

BALLOONS!!!

I noticed that they had a large variety of balloons, (all shapes and sizes), and at the mouth of each balloon was something that looked to be the same shape as an "O" ring. So I bought a bag of 100 for around $1 and when I got home I cut the mouth off of a balloon and used it to hold a prop onto a prop saver. It worked and quite well.

Sure the balloon mouth is a little weaker but I can easily fit 2 of them onto the prop saver and then they hold very well. Actually they hold so well and stretch far further than the original "O" ring would before splitting.

I will never need to buy an "O" ring again!

Just thought I would share this with you as it may help you if you cannot find any "O" rings locally.

Have fun!

Paracodespoder

Elite member
How does a prop saver work?
Short version: prop goes on small shaft that it can pivot a little on, rubber o-ring over a little screw sticking on each side holds prop on. In a crash, the o-ring stretches and allows the prop to shift a little and not break. One common problem though is losing the o-rings.

Captain Video

My reluctance for using prop savers is the same flexibility that saves the prop. Wont the stretch in the band introduce wobbling or movement counter to how the prop should be stable?

Seahunter

When I restarted the hobby a number of years ago now I made a series of purchases of motors with prop savers and separate prop saver attachments to suit a variety of motor shafts. They worked well and I still have a number in use BUT getting the correct "O" rings in sufficient quantity can be difficult and rather expensive. What use is it saving the prop if the "O" ring is nowhere to be found?

Well on a shopping trip, (well more of a mindless meander actually, it's a male thing!), I found myself in a disposal store in their party supplies section. Then it happened!

BALLOONS!!!

I noticed that they had a large variety of balloons, (all shapes and sizes), and at the mouth of each balloon was something that looked to be the same shape as an "O" ring. So I bought a bag of 100 for around $1 and when I got home I cut the mouth off of a balloon and used it to hold a prop onto a prop saver. It worked and quite well.

Sure the balloon mouth is a little weaker but I can easily fit 2 of them onto the prop saver and then they hold very well. Actually they hold so well and stretch far further than the original "O" ring would before splitting.

I will never need to buy an "O" ring again!

Just thought I would share this with you as it may help you if you cannot find any "O" rings locally.

Have fun!
Great tip, never would have thought of this. Thanks Hai-Lee! :)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@Captain Video the prop saver's front is flat and has a inner collar to hold the prop level and straight, but it's short, and a little loose, so if not banded, it falls off and had miniscule wiggle. the centrigufal forces keep the prop flying right. (like how a folding prop. does it) The band allows the blade to tilt over when the blade end is pulled back (like hitting the ground.)
1549466394722.png

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Balloons, great idea.
I have used the small rubber bands that girls use to make a pony tail in their hair. I prefer the rubber bands used to braid horse hair. They are just a bit stronger. A bag like this is just a few dollars.

10677_bk_a_zoom.jpg

crashman

I have used old bicycle inner tubes for the elastic bands. One inner tube cut with scissors can last nearly ones lifetime! Usually a 700c X 25c tube is a good fit. The tube is just cut as sections creating "o" rings of about an eighth of an inch in width. Any bike shop can provide you with a tube with a puncture for free.

TooJung2Die

Master member
"Thera-Band" blue tubing by the foot. It's like latex surgical rubber tubing but much tougher. Around $1.50 per foot shipped on eBay. Two feet will get you a lifetime supply of prop-saver bands. Just slice off as many bands as you need from the tube with a razor blade. Best stuff I've ever used.
IMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG

Jon