Puffed LiPo

damouav

I need some advice on discharging a puffed lipo for safe disposal.

I stupidly left a lipo FULLY charged for way to long, and when I came back to place a storage charge on the battery it had puffed.

I dont have a light buld setup, and the salt water bath is dangerous.

I was informed that you can discharge a lipo battery using the nimh setting on discharge mode on a battery charger, is this a solution to my problem?

The battery is a 3S 1300mAh.

Any suggestions or advice?

P.S. Cut the leads after the battery is discharged to a safe voltage.

mjmccarron

The salt water bath is safe but can be ineffective. Often times the electrodes corrode off before the battery discharges enough.the Nimh setting can effectively discharge a lipo just make sure it doesn't automatically go into charge mode. That would be bad. Run it down as much as you can on Nimh and then do a 24 hr salt water bath and it should be safe. And as you said, cut the leads after its done.

Mike

damouav

Thanks, I will do the discharge and then dispose.

The salt bath from all my reading is a very, very bad idea. I would not reccomended it and will NOT use it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
you don't really need a fancy lightbulb setup . . . just the lightbulb. Last automotive bulb I bought had wires tucked around the ends as contacts:

5080916_syl_3057LL_pri_larg.jpg

I untucked the wires, plugged them into the top and bottom of the balance port on the battery . . . then wait a few days.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Thanks, I will do the discharge and then dispose.

The salt bath from all my reading is a very, very bad idea. I would not reccomended it and will NOT use it.

It is a bad idea to use salt water if your battery still has a lot of charge left. The stored energy will outlast the connections. If the battery is charged the easiest and cheapest method is to use the light bulb or an appropriate sized and rated resistor.

Fyathyrio

A couple alligator clips soldered and wired to an XT-60 (or whatever) plug can attach to just about any car lightbulb cheaply.

For easy battery maintenance, I use a couple of these discharge/balance things. Shop carefully to ensure they come with the three lightbulbs, some cheaper priced ones just have the main unit which is somewhat worthless by itself. Awesome little thing that will get your batteries to storage voltage or balance them without much babysitting, and will be quicker than most chargers. It cannot take a lipo to zero volts though, you will still need to use a bulb or similar.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have yet to understand why the entire battery needs to be submerged in salt water when just dipping the gold plated battery plug into the water till discharged should be sufficient. Dan's method is best though!

Thurmond

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
At'll do it.

Just short the output terminals and you're done.

damouav

I found another globe in my spare parts bin and solder a couple of leads and plug.

Thanks for your help.

HilldaFlyer

I have yet to understand why the entire battery needs to be submerged in salt water when just dipping the gold plated battery plug into the water till discharged should be sufficient. Dan's method is best though!
Thurmond
That is a good question that I have wondered about too. I suppose having a submerged fire is safer than having it on your bench... but have you ever seen hydrogen and oxygen burn? Just say Hindenburg!

article-2493507-194B7EEE00000578-846_634x470.jpg

Further science... Electrodes submerged in salt water produce two of the most explosive gasses. The cathode wire produces pure hydrogen and the anode produces pure oxygen. You have all the makings of an explosion. Capture the oxygen and hydrogen, mix and give it a combustion source like a little heat!

pem_electrolyzer.png

But salty water isn't usually conductive enough to produce enough current flow to generate the heat necessary for combustion, unless your salt water was really really salty. Best to stick with the light/resistor to drain the battery for a day and then twist the leads together.

Science Project

Here is a great science project that I tried to get my kids to do for science fair. We understand that water does not conduct electricity unless it is a solution with ions. Did you know that you can determine, with quite a bit of accuracy, the concentration of salt in water using a ohm meter? By adding salt to water the resistance goes down. You can make a standard curve with known amounts of salt in water plotting resistance to amount of salt. For this to work the electrodes placed in the water must be kept the same distance apart so you can affix two wires to a stick with hot glue. Dip it in the water and that will tell you the resistance. Plot the reading against your standard curve and presto, you can know the concentration of salt. The project I wanted my kids to do was to measure the salt concentration over a years time in the lake and water gathering spots near our house. Road salt in the winter causes the concentration to skyrocket, but I don't know if anyone is keeping tabs on it.

Where was I going with this? Oh, yeah, someone could measure the resistance of the 12v car light and determine how much salt to add to a cup of water to have the equivalent resistance. You would still have to deal with a salt brine and electrode corrosion, but it could be done. Hook a battery plug up to some 14 AWG wire to dip in the brine and scrape off the crude every once in a while. Should bubble good too. Only do this in an area where the hydrogen and oxygen can float away and not accumulate.

Sorry - Science geek in me coming out.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Just for the record: Ex-Semiconductor Fab Maintenance and Emergency Response Team Member.....I have worked with more H2 than most people will see or deal with in several lifetimes not to mention the toxic and pyrophoric gasses that were extremely fun as well.

Thurmond

damouav

OK.

So I started this thread to obtain ideas to safely dispose of my puffed lipo, this was easily completed using the slow discharge method with my spare indicator light. I discharged the battery to 0 volts then the leads were cut and the battery was disposed of safely in the rubbish.

Again, I dont think the salt water bath is a good idea, and again I would not suggest that anyone use it let alone a beginner.

Thanks to all for your input and happy flying.