question: waterproofing brown FTFB vs DTFB

I get it about minwax, etc.
I'm planning on building an airboat for snow. I was planning on all brown FTFB, then fill edges with spackle - or maybe even a lightweight wood putty in this case - weight isn't as critical. Then a good thorough paint job. I'm sure the water doesn't go through the paint!

In case a drop of water gets into a seam somewhere, I know the brown FB holds itself together better, and should last until the thing thoroughly air dries.

In drawing it up I found several places where this 3mm white dollar-FB would be a lot more convenient, and I'd really like to do some parts with that, but I'm worried about water.

Without using minwax, has anyone just painted white FB and used it where it could get wet? Like on floats?

333170_c27561ec0ca37ef8de51cb09a0d44590 (1).png

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I'm planning on building an airboat for snow. I was planning on all brown FTFB, then fill edges with spackle - or maybe even a lightweight wood putty in this case - weight isn't as critical. Then a good thorough paint job. I'm sure the water doesn't go through the paint!

In case a drop of water gets into a seam somewhere, I know the brown FB holds itself together better, and should last until the thing thoroughly air dries.

In drawing it up I found several places where this 3mm white dollar-FB would be a lot more convenient, and I'd really like to do some parts with that, but I'm worried about water.

Without using minwax, has anyone just painted white FB and used it where it could get wet? Like on floats?

View attachment 183678
hey just a thought if you can get hold of acetate plastic really thin.... then depaper the foam sand the plastic lightly glue it on with wood glue and walla u have waterproof foam board

Timmy

Legendary member

View attachment 183678
This guy did some tests and found that just FB with paint is pretty good

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm planing on just painting my otter for snow use. I'll probably use some tape and glue to fill in all the little gaps.

I'm planing on just painting my otter for snow use. I'll probably use some tape and glue to fill in all the little gaps.
Yeah you know what - you're right. No matter how I build it it isn't bulletproof, it'll smack into something and get dented through the paint. Then let dry thoroughly, then use lots of glue and it's ready to go again.