RC Flying Newbie - VersaCopter build.

o5b0rn3

Hi, I am new to this hobby. Have not flow a RC plane before. Got interested in quadcopters after seeing videos of drone builds.

This is my first build. I have been reading the FT forums and watched the FT build videos.

I am planning on building my first quad using the following:

FT VersaCopter 280- V2 - Frame
Naze32 (rev 6) FC board
Tattu 1300 mAh 75c 4S1P
Emax 6.30 Props
Lumenire RX 2206 2000kV
Lumenier BL Heli 30 amp
Battery Voltage Alarm​

I am also planning on purchasing the Spectrum Dx6i and AR610 for my Tx & Rx.

Once I build this and learnt to fly it, I plan on adding FVP to it.

Thought and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

NuttyGeezer

Hi, I am new to this hobby. Have not flow a RC plane before. Got interested in quadcopters after seeing videos of drone builds.

This is my first build. I have been reading the FT forums and watched the FT build videos.

Naze32 (rev 6) FC board
Tattu 1300 mAh 75c 4S1P
Emax 6.30 Props
Lumenire RX 2206 2000kV
Lumenier BL Heli 30 amp
Battery Voltage Alarm​

Thanks.

Looks pretty good to me. There are a couple of things you might want to consider though.

You might want to use the littlebee 30A ESCs, which are slightly cheaper.

DAL props are more expensive than regular props but are very durable (I broke a 3mm carbon arm on my 150 quad but the prop was fine) and produce a lot of thrust.

The naze32 is fine, but F3 boards are available for only slightly more and are more "locked in" and allow you to run lots of stuff (LEDs, OSD, race transponders) at the same time, which the naze can't.

I haven't used the DX6i, but it is quite expensive. You may feel that the micro receivers and spectrum BNF models make it worth the price, but I can highly recommend the flysky i6 which I use.

Aside from that, it looks really good. Good luck with the build

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The Versacopter was my first multirotor build. It went together nicely and flies great. If you do decide to go with Spektrum, check out the Orange and Lemon receivers, they offer CPPM and S.BUS connection for a lot less than the Spektrum serial Rx's or the much slower AR610.

Happy building :)

o5b0rn3

NuttyGeezer, thank you for the suggestions and recommendations. I went with this configurations, because I saw the build on FT's website and thought since I am new, would use the same config.
If I do use the Littlebee and F3 boards, will the setup be the same??

o5b0rn3

ElectriSean, thank you. Did you use the same config/components for your build? If not can you let me know what you used?
I'll take a look at the Orange and Lemon receivers.

NuttyGeezer

NuttyGeezer, thank you for the suggestions and recommendations. I went with this configurations, because I saw the build on FT's website and thought since I am new, would use the same config.
If I do use the Littlebee and F3 boards, will the setup be the same??

It should be the same, except when you flash cleanflight/betaflight you will have to choose the firmware for your board as opposed to the naze32, but all of the firmwares are labelled with the board they are for so it isn't a problem

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Naze32 (rev 6) FC board
Tattu 1300 mAh 75c 4S1P
Emax 6.30 Props
Lumenire RX 2206 2000kV
Lumenier BL Heli 30 amp
Battery Voltage Alarm​

Thanks.

Looks like a GREAT first build! We def recommend this frame to learn and build on. After the updates to the frame and the aluminum...it has turned into a wonderful, rewarding build. The components you have are also quality, so you really cannot go wrong! You could save some money by getting smaller esc's and smaller motors, but you do lose a little bit of quality /smoothness probably! Either way you cannot really go wrong with this particular build... just make sure to watch the build video, enjoy it, and do not be afraid to ask advice!! ;)

Also, once you go FPV you'll never go back! ;) I was hooked for life! ha

Blessings friend and happy flying!!
Stefan

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
ElectriSean, thank you. Did you use the same config/components for your build? If not can you let me know what you used?
I'll take a look at the Orange and Lemon receivers.

When I first built it it was almost identical to the setup you posted, except I used EMAX motors and ESC's, 6045 props and 3S 2200mAh batteries. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone with different motors/ESC's so I could do 4S with no worries... I think you'll be very happy with your setup, if it's a bit too wild you can drop to 3S to tame it a little.

If you want to get the most out of your Naze, definitely look at CPPM or S.BUS receivers. Besides adding FPV gear, this is the only thing I've changed so far. Using a PWM Rx like the AR610 uses pins on the board that are more useful for other things, and have much worse latency. I've had good luck with both Lemon and Orange, I haven't heard much about the Spektrum ones.

One thing that isn't on your list but should be is a buzzer. Best $3 you can spend on your quad... My mini tri would still be in a wheat field if not for the buzzer. http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=buzzer&product_id=136 Plug it into the buzzer pins on the Naze and set it to a switch in Cleanflight. It can also act as a battery beeper if you set up voltage monitoring.

Good luck :)

o5b0rn3

ElectriSean, thank you for the insight and suggestions. I am planning on using 4s, hopefully it does not get too wild!!
Based on your recommendation, I plan on using the OrangeRx R615X w/CPPM . I'll also get a buzzer.

o5b0rn3

Stefan@FliteTest,
Based on the recommendations, if i switch the Naze32 Acro with the Naze32 F3 Deluxe 10DOF Version, can I still follow this Naze32 Rev6 Setup video instructions? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFf3ybXDuYs
Also if I am going to use the Spectrum Dx6i and OrangeRx R615X w/CPPM for my Tx & Rx combo, how difficult is it going to be to follow the setup video that uses the Graupner Tx/Rx combo? Keep in mind I have not done something like this before. This is my first build.
I am going with the DX6i, because I am getting one from my friend.
Please advice.

Thanks.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Having recently reworked a versa to a nice 4s set up I have a few questions for you.

First what are you building this for Racing, free style, aerial photography?

Second and I may be wrong but 2000kv motors are more torque oriented then RPM so they will be swinging slower. Running a 3 pitch 2 blade prop would make them motors run in the upper range of their rpm to keep a heavy quad like that up. You could end up with heat issues. (Slower spin bigger pitch ?) I guess it also depends on if you are carrying weight for photography or more race / freestyle oriented.

After my rebuild I was running a 1300mah graphene battery with 30 amp emax blheli esc's from the FT store on stock emax mt2204 2300kv motors swinging 5x4x3 and had decent flight performance and efficiency. I then changed to 5x4.5x4 dal props after tuning as it ran much cooler then it already was. The 6x4.5 props worked nicely on the 3s but using 6 inch props at all on 4s made it run hotter then I liked. Specially on the stock 12a esc's. Since you are already starting on 30a esc's consider dropping down to 5 inch tri blades of your choosing or if you are wanting to stay on 6 inch slower spinning props go with a 6 inch tri blade with a slightly larger pitch for power and agility and save stressing the esc's and motors.

As for your radio gear just make sure you set it up as an "aero" plane not "heli", set mid stick neutral positions using sub trims and NEVER use trim to make adjustments after wards. then set end points using travel adjustments or end points which ever term your radio uses to name the function.

If you want examples here is the thread I did on upgrading...http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?27058-Start-of-my-Versa-rebuild-for-more-power

and here is what I was doing before I really learned how to tune effectively and graduated to the 5inch alien I just built.

o5b0rn3

PsyBorg,
I am building this just to learn and freestyle. Would move to fpv later.
I'll get some 6" try blades too and try them.
Will read your other thread too. Thank you for the suggestions.

o5b0rn3

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

I finally decided to pull the trigger and placed the order for following components:

Lumenire RX 2206 2000kV
Lumenier BL Heli 30 amp
Tattu 1300 mAh 75c 4S1P
EV-Peak V6AC Battery Charger
Battery Voltage Alarm
Piezo Buzzer
SPRacing F3 FC Board
Spectrum Dx6i
Lemon 8ch receiver w/PPM output​

The packages will be arriving soon. Can't wait. Will start another thread documenting my build.

Thank you again for the guidance and advice.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Awesome. Good luck and I hope it all arrives in good condition with nothing missing. Nothing like having a build on hold because there was a missing standoff or bracket to mount something. (not saying FT stuff would be like that as their orders have been spot on for me)

Remind yourself to get the pics. I and several others did the same thing. We wanted to document the whole process and the more we got into the build the less camera work we did hehehe.

Most of all a maiden video is what we look forward to.

Good luck with the build and don't hesitate to ask for help.