Rogallo Wing Anyone

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I hope the title of the thread can give you a clue of what I am asking. :) I have been thinking about building a plane with a rogallo wing after watching the video where Josh and David added a rogallo wing to two different plane fuselages. The idea looks interesting. My thought is to add the rogallo wing to a tiny trainer. I have a tiny trainer fuselage laying around that is not being used. Has anyone built a rogallo wing ? I have an idea about the build process from the short video where Josh and David talk about the wing. Looking for any kind of input. What do you guys think ? Maybe someone has a link or too to a rogallo wing.

Open to all input, (y)

hankflies03

Hi Everyone,

I hope the title of the thread can give you a clue of what I am asking. :) I have been thinking about building a plane with a rogallo wing after watching the video where Josh and David added a rogallo wing to two different plane fuselages. The idea looks interesting. My thought is to add the rogallo wing to a tiny trainer. I have a tiny trainer fuselage laying around that is not being used. Has anyone built a rogallo wing ? I have an idea about the build process from the short video where Josh and David talk about the wing. Looking for any kind of input. What do you guys think ? Maybe someone has a link or too to a rogallo wing.

Open to all input, (y)
This sounds like a great idea. I am currently working on putting a rogallo wing on a mini old fogey.

Crazed Scout Pilot

Great idea! I was going to try to build a rogallo wing myself. What I would do is build one and then use old batteries of rocks as weight and glide it off a hill.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Right now I'm starting to draw up a pattern for the frame work and the sail material. I will turn the pattern into a jig so that I can get the frame work together. The plan is to use 1/4" wooden dowel rods for the frame. The frame will be 32" long.

Erasmus80

I'm thinking the center of lift would be about 30% of the root chord. I would place the CG just behind that, so power would make the nose rise. I'd start with 5-ish degrees of incidence, but it will be very dependent on your flying speed.

Here are two things:
1) a diagram from a MAN article
2) a parkflyer plan I've always wanted to build but have not.

Attachments

• Rogallo MAN.png
    Rogallo MAN.png
    591.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RC_Rogallo_Parkflyer_Plans V1.1.pdf
    655.8 KB · Views: 0

alan0043

I'm thinking the center of lift would be about 30% of the root chord. I would place the CG just behind that, so power would make the nose rise. I'd start with 5-ish degrees of incidence, but it will be very dependent on your flying speed.

Here are two things:
1) a diagram from a MAN article
2) a parkflyer plan I've always wanted to build but have not.

Thank you so much for the info. Great info.

L Edge

Master member
That is a great succinct design guide. I just bought two plastic table clothes to build a Giant scale one for flying at my field.

Couple of additional points to make is be sure:
1) Frame holding wing that is fastened to the fuse should be exactly down the centerline.
2) Make sure your rudder is large and your rudder area movement is large for roll.(Lot of wing area to produce forces especially gusts.)
3) Suggest your make the wing angle adjustable from a range of 7 to 15 degrees.(NACA wind tunnel tests data)
4) Built mine using a Q-500 fuse and a 40 nitro engine. Adjusted to 9 degrees and was able to do a large loop. Steeper the angle, increases the drag more power needed.
5) Be sure the wing when mounted to upper frame has the keel exactly over the centerline of fuse. If off enough, wing and plane will have end up doing wonky turns, especially not even doing a right turn. Also found my other trouble to be that the wing areas were not equal from the keel outward. It shifted.

Like the idea of a large one.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Start by using a kids "BAT" kite and shortening the stick on the back by about 1/2 inch. Don't know about rudder because I weight shifted mine using servos mounted to the outside flying lines on long aervo arms. They are draggy as heck.......

Back in the day the USAF stopped testing them when they decided a standard parachute gave you nore range.

F4vet

Nice product from Robbe, but that is not exactly what I meant. I mean using a delta kite, sold as a kite, not an RC plane. Such as a delta kite from Premier Kites. Then using that kite as the rogallo wing mounted on an RC plane fuselage. In the FT video they built their own rogallo wing but I have trouble figuring out how to secure the fabric/plastic to the frame - particularly the center rod - without a lot of cuts and holes that would propagate rips when the wing is under load.

stereodreieck86

Nice product from Robbe, but that is not exactly what I meant. I mean using a delta kite, sold as a kite, not an RC plane. Such as a delta kite from Premier Kites. Then using that kite as the rogallo wing mounted on an RC plane fuselage. In the FT video they built their own rogallo wing but I have trouble figuring out how to secure the fabric/plastic to the frame - particularly the center rod - without a lot of cuts and holes that would propagate rips when the wing is under load.
A quick Look at the manual of Robbe Skyflex 2000 (available in Skyflex Facebook Group) should give you some ideas.

Update: This guy did an amazing conversion with the Skyflex Sail.

Last edited:

RCDan

Hi Everyone,

Open to all input, (y)
Im doing one on a hobby zone super cub. im about 80% done, getting close

F4vet

This video could help with building. Enjoy.
In this brief video from FT they mention there are tons of plans out there. Where are they? I see some generic guidelines but no plans that take one from beginning to end of the construction process. To me the most puzzling thing is how to do the fabric/plastic-sheet for the wing. It looks like you need to cut away large sections for the posts that attach to the fuselage and where the cross spar joins the leading edge spars. How do you attach the fabric/plastic-sheet to the spars and how do you keep tears from propagating from the cutouts?