Rudder Control on right stick?

markyoe

I have built a couple quadcopters and wanted to get into planes so I built the Mighty Mini Speedster. For a Mode 2 transmitter, can I put the rudder control on the right stick as the Mini Speedster is a 3 channel plane? I tried flying it with the throttle and rudder on the left stick and elevator on the right and found it really difficult, so I switched the rudder to the right stick and found it easier. I was wondering if it would mess me up when I move up to a elevon or 4-channel plane. Thanks!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
It won't mess you up in the long run. At least it doesn't for most people.

Generally when you have a 4 channel plane you make the majority of the turn with the ailerons and assist the turn with the rudder. So in both cases (3 channel and 4 channel planes) you are using the right stick for the turn. It's just that with the 4 channel plane you are also using a little bit of the left stick with the turn.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Yes go ahead and plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel on a three-channel plane that uses rudder for turn control, so you will have turn control on the right stick.

Another thing to think of, is that if/when you have a three-channel plane like that with landing gear and a steerable tailwheel, do a rudder to aileron mix so that you have turn control on both the left and right sticks. That way, you will be able to steer the plane on the ground with the left stick, and still be able to turn in the air with the right stick. Because if you start training your right hand to steer on the ground, that WILL mess up your finger memory and make it harder when you go to a 4-channel plane and have to use the left stick to steer on the ground.

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
markyoe,
What you are suggesting is actually the customary way to set up a rudder/elevator/throttle arrangement.

On mode 2, the right stick back-and-forth action is for primary control of left/right steering.
On RET planes, that's the rudder - yaw.
On planes with ailerons, its the ailerons - roll.

You're in good shape.