Santa visited today, he was early.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
As I now have at least 3 new planes in mind to start building in the New Year. I thought I had better plan ahead and start stocking up on parts ready.
So on the 21st of December, I ordered (x10) Tower Pro 9g servos, (x20) glue sticks and (15meters) 1.2mm wire for push rods. I need another 20 sheets of foam board but that can wait till after Christmas.
I was amazed and delighted to get my first delivery today, my servos arrived only 2 days after ordering them (y)excellent service. They where delivered by a man with a white beard, although he drove a red van not a sleigh and wore a postal service uniform, instead of a red outfit with fur trim.
Who said miracles dont happen at Christmas, 3 days for post to arrive in a virus outbreak :eek:.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Sea Otter is first, Ive got to have a sea plane particularly as I live in the UK. I also fancy building a Simple Scout, as my second model. So my son can practice take off's and landings without wrecking my decent trainer. The last one is Hangers version of the Simple Stick, been waiting patiently for Flite Test to release the free plans for their version, but looks like they are still too busy trying to milk some more profit out of the kit.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
After those or possibly inbetween those builds, I plan to start a Franken plane something basic with twin motors ideally.

I kept promising myself I would get around to building the A10 (ducted fan version) next year, but think that's possibly postponed now until I have built the Boomerang (seeing as I now have the plans for one), followed by the Typhoon.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Sea Otter is first, Ive got to have a sea plane particularly as I live in the UK. I also fancy building a Simple Scout, as my second model. So my son can practice take off's and landings without wrecking my decent trainer. The last one is Hangers version of the Simple Stick, been waiting patiently for Flite Test to release the free plans for their version, but looks like they are still too busy trying to milk some more profit out of the kit.
The Sea Otter is a great plane, I flew mine to pieces (literally).

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have started changing my build techniques now, to give greater longevity to my planes. Proper hinges rather than just the bevel and paper hinge.
Varnish to protect the outer paper layer, wooden supports for wing dowels and detachable landing gear so it breaks away on heavy landings.
Loads of basic stuff like that, but combined they help the planes last that bit longer.
I never actually swap pods (nose weight between planes varies anyway) so started building the motor pods into the fuselage assembly, to add more strength and robustness.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
at some point though there is a place of no return. these are foam board and adding weight is never a good thing. for the easy of build and cost i always tend to go on the light side just because it will always fly better.

keep building,

me :cool:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
at some point though there is a place of no return. these are foam board and adding weight is never a good thing. for the easy of build and cost i always tend to go on the light side just because it will always fly better.

keep building,

me :cool:
Being that bit heavier, mine handle a bit more adverse wind. it just means I always have to go for the higher spec motor and choose the largest battery I can get away with capacity wise.
but I can handle 15mph winds easily

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Santa called again today while I was out, the glue sticks I ordered on the 21st arrived. Once again I am amazed only 4 day delivery in the middle of a virus epidemic and Christmas week too (y):)