Scaled up Old Fogey

demotors

Has anyone scaled up a FT OLD FOGEY? I have a nearly finished Old Fogey. Just need pushrods. It came out 14.4 oz with a 2s 1320 mah battery. I hope to fly it in 2 days. I can only imagine it at 200% scale. I have been in the hobby for 45 plus years and never built an old timer. I love how it looks. At a wing loading of 5.51 oz/sq ft it should be a real relaxing plane to fly. I'm not sure how to build it at 2x scale. I have 1/4 inch foam board from Grayson Hobbies. Help?!

Phin G

Elite member
I haven't tried but if you want a huge one and when i mean 1.75m wingspan you could print off tiled plans on a3 or enlarge them onto a word document to make the tiled bigger then print them all off. I dont know these are just ideas. Hope it works

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Has anyone scaled up a FT OLD FOGEY? I have a nearly finished Old Fogey. Just need pushrods. It came out 14.4 oz with a 2s 1320 mah battery. I hope to fly it in 2 days. I can only imagine it at 200% scale. I have been in the hobby for 45 plus years and never built an old timer. I love how it looks. At a wing loading of 5.51 oz/sq ft it should be a real relaxing plane to fly. I'm not sure how to build it at 2x scale. I have 1/4 inch foam board from Grayson Hobbies. Help?!
If you have Adobe Acrobat you can upscale the plans there and print it off to whatever scale you like. Or you can take it to a local Staples and have them print it off for you.

demotors

Thanks everyone. I flew the Fogey. I wound up flying at an altitude of about one foot. Verrrry slowly. I then built 2 deiehedral wings: one with about 4 1/2 inches of diehedral and one with about 3 1/2 inches of diehedral and ailerons. I liked the wing without ailerons. The aileron wing looked like it needed more diehedral, so I made that mod and gave it more travel. The weather in NJ hasn't been conducive to testing yet. I'll mix in some rudder for the diehedral wing. I'm building a Simple Cub, so I may wind up flying that and flying the Figey with the polyhedral wing. Scaling up the Fogey can wait. Thanks for the tips on doing the scale up.

Tench745

Master member
The Old Fogey and the Speedster shared a wing. Eventually the Speedster was updated into the Sportster which had a more standard FT airfoil wing and ailerons.
This is a long way of suggesting that if you wanted to put an aileron wing on the Fogey you could probably use the Sportster wing easily enough, just modify the top of the fuselage to take the new flat-bottomed wing.